Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Grinding Reels and bed knife blades

Was wondering if we had any folks here that grinds reels in there business. I gathering information on business exspectations and overall pro and cons of grinding reels.

Thank you!

Carolina Lawns
Old 07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass01 View Post
[COLOR="Teal"]Was wondering if we had any folks here that grinds reels in there business. I gathering information on business exspectations and overall pro and cons of grinding reels.
The last time I did reels, a set of 3 from a Locke, 30 inch units, at 55 dollars each unit was maybe 20 years ago. The only places I know of that use reels are mostly golf course these days. I do know of one home owner that has a putting green in his back yard, and he does his own machine, of course he can afford it

I would hate to think what it would cost to sharpen a reel today. I know most of the dealers here in South Jersey and none of them do reels.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Use the search feature. Txgrassguy is probably the most knowledgeable here onsite about reels. It has been discussed quite a bit. You might also google Foley, they make the equipment for sharpening reels and have a very good tutorial on how it should be done. Not too many shops do it correctly. I pay about 80 per machine for 7 blade 25"-27" mowers.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guy I used to work for got $5/inch.
20" = $100.00.
Good money for 1/2 worth of work.

The difference between a Technician and a Mechanic - A Technician uses a book, the Mechanic uses his brain.