Register free!

Old 04-04-2002, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Question Fertilizer, Pre-M application rates and price help!!

I am new to the pesticide and fertilization side of our business. First of all, thanks for all the help everyone gives to help each other out. I don't know what I would do without this site!!

I am bidding on a shopping complex. It is a year round contract to begin May 1, 2002. They would like Pre-M and Post-M as well as Insect Control. They also want the turf fertilized. The total area to be treated is 176,000 sq. ft. It is relatively flat and easily accessible. There are no islands, just flat open areas. The turf type is mix between several grasses, cent/bermuda/bahia. I am planning on a 3 step application program (early spring, early summer, late fall). I am in Central Mississippi.

A licensed applicator will be applying it for me, but I need to know what to bid and what to tell the management company when we discuss my bid. What kind of herbicide do I use and what kind of fertilizer, and at which times? What is a good average cost of the herbicide and fertilizer if they are purchased at my local nursery?

What are the appication rates for these?
176, 000 Square Feet
For example: Early spring- application of pre-m and post-m with a
fertilizer. Cost: $???
Early Summer- application of post-m with a fertilizer
and insect control. Cost: $????
Late Fall- application of quick rel. nitrogen. Cost: $??

One more question, I am supposed to overseed in rye grass for the winter. I will plan to spread it at 4 pounds per 1000 sq. ft. for one application and then come back at 2 pounds per 1000 sq. ft.
What kind of price should I look at giving them for rye grass overseeding? It will be broadcast with a spreader on 4 wheeler.
Total sq.ft. is again 176,000. I want to plant a perennial variety but I am unsure as to prices for a 50 pound bag of good quality rye. Could I just get some prices or help with pricing these?
Sorry so long, Any help is GREATLY appreciated?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any help? Please!
Old 04-04-2002, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to sub the applications, get the person who is going to do the work to give you the particulars and pricing.

If you estimate it and are wrong you could lose money on that part. If they want the work, they should be willing to do the bid for you on that part.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. Good advice. Not to seem sceptical here, or anything, but something seems a liitle fishy, here. In the first place, if it's being subbed, why wouldn't this guy be eager to give you his OWN price. He MUST need to know what it's going to take to do the job for himself. Also, why would you need to know what rates it has to be put down at if a "pro" will be doing the app.. And third, who, as a certified and licensed company, buys their products at a local nursery? Just curious, I guess. What I'm saying, is, with all the liability involved, don't go getting yourself in trouble over following advice here on Lawnsite, while not following the most important advices that go with it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.