Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

rockhound vs. us mower flail mower

I'm looking to purchase one of these. I'd like to hear from any users of either. I know minimax prefers his razor, anyone else have a razor. I've heard only 6 of these units have been sold so far. There must be some rockhound users on here. Do they perform as advertized? Durable? I need to mow up to about three inches. Poison Oak, Coyote brush, Doug fir, etc. Not much grass or cultivated stuff, just brush and small trees. All input appreciated, thanks. I'll be using a tl140 or 150.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I not trying to change your mind but etheir one of the taks will not run anything bigger than a 60" inch us mower head because of the flow I'm putting 29 GPM at 3500 psi to a 72" us mower head and it works good.Have you watch the us mower video? Rockhound does not have video
If you look at the weighs of the mower the us mower out weighs more than the rockhound.US mower 60"= 1625 lbs,72"=1700 lbs w/o push bar,Rockhound 60"= 1475 lbs,72"=1625 lbs and no push bar available.

minimax
10' Deere 323D CTL cab,EH controls,high flow,reverising fan 78" 4-in-1 bucket,US mower 72" Razor flail head, Deere PR96 power rake,Faver grapple
05' Kaufman gooseneck 14k trailer
00' FL70 Freightliner dump truck w/t high lift gate
00' Trail king tk20 trailer
97' Deere F1145 front mower
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our local Bobcat dealer brings in nothing but US Mower, they love them. the Rockhounds aren't the greatest here, and they don't have case drains.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I hear you, minimax, on the low flow on the Taks. It kills me that they don't have a hi flow because it would make my decision so much easier in regards to brand of ctl. I want to stay with my current dealer because the support has been great. That's important to me because I'm not set up to do more than routine maintenance. For the same reason Tak appeals to me. This dealer also sells ASV, so I visited a local guy today who let me check out his rc-100. It drives real smooth and he says he's had no problems with the undercarriage or anything. He runs a 72 in Rockhound flail on that ASV and says it has withstood some beatings. My neighbors also run the ASVs and aren't really happy with them.
US mower is also making it pretty tough for me to go with them because they won't send a demo unit and can't get me the 60in razor for two to three months. I'm sure they aren't afraid to send a demo, it sounds like they just don't have one. I don't doubt the quality, my little ex30 is great, they're just not making it easy for me to get a razor. I could wait for the Razor but I'd like to get some fire breaks done soon. Too many factors to make this decision easy
Ron are these Razors that are moving through your local dealer? If so I've been misled about there only being six units sold.
Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by trailmaker; 07-29-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

trailmaker,I know they have sold more than 6 razors, mine was # 8 and I have seen 5 more being bulit, I would get a mower as wide as the machine.
Maybe you should take a trip to washington and you can run mine.

minimax
10' Deere 323D CTL cab,EH controls,high flow,reverising fan 78" 4-in-1 bucket,US mower 72" Razor flail head, Deere PR96 power rake,Faver grapple
05' Kaufman gooseneck 14k trailer
00' FL70 Freightliner dump truck w/t high lift gate
00' Trail king tk20 trailer
97' Deere F1145 front mower
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the offer to run yours. If I had a little more time I'd take you up on that. My brother actually has a place up there on the straights of Juan de Fuca. It's one of the most beautiful places I've been. Whole trees grow like weeds up there.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Bobcat dealer has sold a total of six since bringing them in 2 years ago, I think 50/50 on the flails for the excavators and rotary for the skid steers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96