Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2002, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Bring on the cheap stuff!!!!

I'm helping my son start his landscaping service business. He starting talking about getting a tiny little web site for pictures and your basic contact, insurance and other stuff. ANYWAY, we knew someone and got it made real cheap, so next the guy says, get your site submitted to the search engines and you're done!! Everybody I have talked to says Yahoo, Yahoo, Yahoo, nobody has ever told me yea check out Google, or Lycos, or whatever... Yahoo is great and my son says, "Yea, yea, Yahoo, everyone uses that!” About 4 months ago I was fuming because of their give us a couple hundred dollars and we might list you policy, but just yesterday I break down and tell myself, "it's just a one time fee". I looked and now it is annual!!!!!!! Are your sites on Yahoo, if so, was it worth the price????
Old 02-15-2002, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes stonehenge i know i gotta crop them i just learned how to do it a week or two ago, ill get around to doing it to them too.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I only submit to the search engines that are free. I don't understand how one can have an effective search engine that only has sites that have paid to be listed. It would seem that that would eliminate most of the sites out there. And now that I think about it, we've gotten hits from Yahoo, and we've never paid them anything.

The $$ spent in those annual fees must just assure that actual eyes will look at your site and decide where it should fall in their database. That's my guess anyway. And all the rest are found by their web spiders.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Superb...

Thanks for the advice, think we will do the same.
Should have started a new thread, but I just figured out what a thread was.

As for an answer to the original question...
I think the MOST you could get from a web page would be new clients! Unless some biz came along and wanted to buy your site name for MILLIONS! I would think websites make an excellent addition to an already established service.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
HGM - that looks like it's pretty cheap, and you get a lot for it.

I'm not familiar with Coffee Cup - is that software, or a template service that's part of poweredby?

And I'd imagine you had to pay for the FrontPage, right?

And don't forget those interNIC fees. Who know if they're cheaper now, but it cost me $75 when I first did my page last year.

HGM, with that extra $$ you could buy a nice image editor, too - something from Adobe or elsewhere...
Hey Stonehenge.. love that username. great marketability for hardscaping...

I had a copy of FrontPage with Office XP but coffeecup is a pretty cheap (free is you do not mind dealing with the trial provisions of the software) software package for download from www.download.com that is an HTML editor. Takes a little practice, but works well after a little time.

Not sure what is up with your INternic fees. Most web registrars are including the InterNic registration fees in the price for securing the domain. The numbers above got my site up.

jf
Old 04-05-2002, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

From Stonehenge:
Quote:
I don't understand how one can have an effective search engine that only has sites that have paid to be listed.
Well, first of all, they aren't search engines, they are directories.
That is the biggest misconception about Yahoo! since it first began in the early 90's. Yahoo began as a directory (the only sites listed were added by actual people) not an actual search engine like the rest (Altavista, Lycos, Google, etc.) Now, Yahoo! uses Google.com's search technology to actually search for pages to be added.

-----

Quote:
Have any of you ever gotten any actual work from your area by having a web site?
"One person I know explained it best. It shows that you are a progressive company. People love looking up new websites, and if they see your web address on your truck, or business card or in the yellow pages, they WILL look at it. This is your chances to impress them. They don't feel any high pressure sales tactics, they view all your services at their own pace. A website can make the sale or break the sale."

The companies that don't "get it" may be losing jobs to the companies that do have a website. After all, we all know that we usually aren't the only ones asked for a bid.