Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Current jobsite.

1500 SF patio w/ black slate and granite for all vertical work, including the fireplace. Concrete goes in tomorrow w/ fiber........always use fiber, no excuse not to.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

...............steps will have 5 lights each and the walls coming out from the fireplace will have 3 each.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a big ass bucket on the T190, is it for pouring concrete?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Todd, how's the truck coming along?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The bucket is a "snow bucket".....I use it for snow and also bulk material. Being it has a smooth edge makes it perfect for cleaning up the 40 tons of #57 dumped in the street.

My Dad is picking up the truck from paint tomorrow and bringing it to me on Friday. I then have to put everything on it. Boxes are being made right now and I need a welder to fabricate and transfer the hoist. I'm going to have it sitting 4" lower than before. I just need the truck on the road this fall, I don't need it right now. I bought the truck about a month ago and have yet to even see it much less drive it. Dad says its nice, good enough for me. Gotta love having someone that doesn't mind doing the running around for you!

Last edited by tthomass; 07-30-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks great. Do you enjoy being an owner operator or do you aspire to have multiple crews? How many employees do you employ now?
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have 4 employees......

-me
-guy that has been with me pretty much from the start.....call him assistant foreman
-labor.....son of guy/friend i know at the rental company i know
-brother....does the filing and quickbooks etc for me

I hire temps as I need them and I have nothing booked yet but believe this fall to be very strong for mulitple reasons and will hire 2-3 full time through the fall and run a 2nd crew........I hope.

Spring of 2009 will 99.9% most likely see me hiring on a real foreman and having my guy be his assistant and one more under him.......3 man crew. This is what I must do in order to grow. I've had a very good........great.......year but I'm stuck and 80-90hr weeks aren't fun. I'll be able to pull myself from the field as needed and I can be the guy taking care of supplies vs someone leaving the site.

Foreman........I don't know if I'll hire a mason capable person or hire someone that is very good with the Bobcat and planting. I've picked up a lot on hardscaping this year and now doing the jobs I've been wanting to do.......such as this patio pictured. I'm thinking I can stick with the masonry and hire the Bobcat/planting foreman to do the other stuff but if hardscapes continues to take off I'll have a landscape crew and I'll be the hardscape crew.

I would keep just the foreman, my guy and I on a salary and lay off the rest of my help as necessary........winter/summer.

So, those are my thoughts. I did just take a look at a sweet (yes, sweet) piece of property tonight and if I dive into that I'll have plenty of winter work just working on my own property (6 acres, 2001 home, bank owned, great layout and around nobody......nice). If I take that dive.......I don't know.....it can have an effect on who I hire as to the salary I wish to pay. Basically, keep myself in the field another year but I don't see it being a problem. I've got the resources to make things happen and I've been in business just long enough to begin establishing myself. Nobody knows I exist really........but the important thing is that the right people do and we have great relationships.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sweet deal! I can't wait to see it on the road. I'm realllllyyy starting to look for a full size truck for me for next year... most likely a 26k truck with a sng.

P.S.:
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you would notice that!

i'm not on here as much as i used to.....have you put up any pictures of your projects?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
you would notice that!

i'm not on here as much as i used to.....have you put up any pictures of your projects?
I have posted a few but none recently... I'll post some next week since I'm going away for the [Canadian] long weekend