Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

the part #'s you have are the ones it calls for.

i wrote the resistance values for the coil on my notepad which i left at work. i'll remember to bring them home tomorrow.

yep. that ignitor must be grounded to work.

maybe i'll bring the manuals home tomorrow and go from there.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you kawasaki1

Manana (tommorrrow). I had a hard day in the trees. Will mechanic on Tuesday.

de
Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

i think i might've found your problem. this is straight from jd dtac solution #54382

original ignitor has failed. previous service ignitors, am128800, am 131198, AM131398 do not start engine.
if engine does start engine runs erratically.

order and install ignitor am132770.

i went back and read your previous posts. the am131398ignitor won't work.

maybe that's it.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kawa lx172

That is great news. I finally have something solid to go on. I will order the part and try

Thanks very much

de
Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

if you have access to a running f510-525, gt242, or a 325 that has an external ignitor you can use that one for a test.

it seems the old 14-17 hp. singles use the same ignitor.

it seems all their troubles started when they got rid of the old m73477 or something ignitors.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawa Igniters

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoman8 View Post
Thank you kawasaki1

Manana (tommorrrow). I had a hard day in the trees. Will mechanic on Tuesday.

de
Echoman, Been following this thread, in between water breaks, did you get any rain out of Dolly? Just turned on the tube and the radar shows rain on top of us, but walked outside and nothing yet. Those igniters have give me fits, can't stand those little P.O.S. expensive add-ons. Just one question, when you said a hard day in the trees, what part am I missing? The joke here is the tallest tree in west Texas is a fence post, married to a Lubbockian and going out there was a real education in scenery and topography. I'd move out there in a heartbeat, we just bought a Leveland 2 year-old quarter horse home and he didn't know what a tree was, or that it is cooler under the tree,something the other two horses have down. Try to stay cool, we have at least another week of this. C'ya K
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks again kawasaki1. The info is really useful. I will have to delay getting the part for a few days. The Deere shops are in Odessa/Midland and I am working the other direction. So far, I cannot find a website selling this part. Will try again.

----To "mowerman7" Yea, in West Texas the fence posts or taller than the trees. Yep, I live near Odessa. I worked in Alpine/Fort Davis/Marfa area for several years before doing trees. Now most of my work is still in that area. That mountain country has a good tree population and rather large trees for a desert. The ranches have some giant cottonwoods.

We got a little sprinkle from Dolly, but the Fort Stockton area got 2 inches +.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoman8 View Post
Hi,
I just noticed something that I think is a problem with the kawa module, at least with the motor I have (fc420 as10). It is the location where the ignitor mounts. Rather than mounting to the engine block, it mounts to the engine cowling. A resistance in the ground can fry a ignitor or prevent it from working. This ground on the cowling (where the ignitor is screwed on) is dependent on other bolts to ground it to the motor. Give a mower 12 years of mowing and dust or rust builds between these connections and there is no fire.

I am out of the box but still in it on this one.

It is 100 degrees and humid in west Texas today and I will test this theory tommorrow.

de
HI KAWASAKI 1

Well the ground to the ignitor was the problem on the ignition. I tested with a test clip and then ran an external ground wire from the mounting screw to the block. I would imagine this condition is the cause for some ignitor failures and some erratic firing.

I grew up in the aftermarket auto parts business. During the early days of the electronic igntion on cars, the Ford products had a lot of ignition failures (fried modules). A major cause of this was that the module ground system would develop a lot of resistance. No ground and there was no fire, but with a partial ground, the module would fail.

Now the next problem ----- The engine (kawasaki fc420 as10, john deere lx172) is firing on an open intake valve. Before I remove the cylinder head to inspect, is there anything I need to know?

Will I have to get a new head gasket or will the old gasket work for a week or 2?

Are specs (torques, valve lash, etc) available on internet?

Thanks,

de
Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

at least it's firing now.

you can pull the rocker cover and check the valve lash. i set them at .005-.007. if the valve springs are equal height when closed it's probably not a stuck valve.

you've already checked the key and have a new plug so that leaves a timing problem if both valves close. you can also apply air through the plug hole with the engine locked at tdc to check valve sealing.

one of the things the dtac solution said was "the engine will run erractically, backfiring, missing, etc. if it starts at all" with the wrong ignitor.

you might want to try your old ignitor just for grins and see if it works. if you can find an am132770 ignitor try that and check the valves before tearing the engine apart.

some of the old kawasaki's had a riveted plastic cam gear that would slip and throw off the timing like a plastic gear on a car, but most of those failed and were replaced with steel cams.

you can't reuse the head gaskets, and the torque specs and pattern might be online but i can post a pattern that looks like this since i can't post pics.

3. 4. 6.
1. 2.
7. 5. 8.

if that would help. it'd probably be tues. since i'm not going i tomorrow.

my first weekend off in 3 months and i catch a cold.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks again. I plan to drive the 120 miles for parts tommorrow.

The plastic cam gear got me to thinking of a valve test after a rebuild. Most all engines then were “valve in block”. To make sure that the camshaft/crankshaft was aligned correctly, we would turn the engine to top dead center. On one rotation (compression stroke) the valves would be closed, but on the other rotation, the valves would rock at tdc (one valve close while the other opened). If it were assembled wrong (even one tooth off), it would be obvious by observing the valves. Of course the same can be done by watching the push rods on this motor.

I will post Monday evening after repair.

Thanks
de