Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Wasssssupppp...

I was looking for excavating equipment (Bobcat MT 52/55 and Toro Dingo 322) to remove dirt/crushed concrete from residential and commerical locations. And I was directed to this site. What a gem!!

My company, Ivey EnviroTech Services. My primary business is Yard Cleanup, Debris Removal and Hauling. I do some lawn services for now, but in 2007 I will focus on the Hauling and Site Clean Up. I'm here in Sacramento, speak fluent English, and an Internet "junkie". My email addressis : iveyenviro@frontiernet.net

So I'm a registered user of this forum. So, hit me up on my e-mail address and we can talk. Later.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, not many from Cali! I've been part of this forum for years, but not really had the time to stop by and contribute to it.

I think we should get the word out here in California, especially here in the southland. I think since most English speaking people don't normally do this kind of business here in Cali. they are mostly working in Corporate Jobs.

We are from Anaheim, CA and service all of the beach cities. We mainly do Landscape Maintenance, Irrigation Repairs/Tune ups, Site clean up, Aesthetic Tree Trimming and two or three full Landscape jobs per year. Been in this industry for 16 years and still learning...changing technology and time saving products and so on.

Much success to everyone.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Sponsor

I am a sponsor but native Californian

Born and schooled in San Bernardino and now live in Jackson, California which is about 50 miles East of Sacramento and Stockton. I dream up...get U.S. Patents and then have them built and now am trying to sell trailer locks for trailer hitches. When I finally get the OK for my 2 remaining Patents I should be able to lock up 90% of all trailers. Thanks....Ken
Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken gustafson View Post
Born and schooled in San Bernardino and now live in Jackson, California which is about 50 miles East of Sacramento and Stockton. I dream up...get U.S. Patents and then have them built and now am trying to sell trailer locks for trailer hitches. When I finally get the OK for my 2 remaining Patents I should be able to lock up 90% of all trailers. Thanks....Ken
Well at least you don't have to go too far to test your locks. Great proving grounds in Modesto and Stockton, #1 and #2 for stolen equipment, trailers and autos in CA. Good luck!

John
Old 06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Any california guys still on here? This thread started over 2 years ago?!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Sponsor

Still here

I am still here...wondering where California people are and are doing. Seems like trailer theft in general but mostly in California is not a real problem or thought of seriously until the trailer is gone. I know that was the case for me....no thought until mine was gone. Now I am up to my axles in designs...U.S. Patents...having them produced and the biggest issue of all....trying to sell these locks to people BEFORE they have the issue of ....... My trailer and my equipment is gone.
When my trailer was taken...mind you it was chained to a large tree.... I was livid and hostile and even more so when I reported this crime to Sheriff Department. They took the report and that was the end of their story. Just was no big deal...take the report...answer next call. Have been working on these locks ever since. Picking the actual lock is the weakest part of the whole system but you have got to know what you are doing and am getting ready to make that way of attacking our trailer locks...many times more of an effort. It's going to take time to steal the trailer...so if the trailer is not hiding or out of sight it is going to be a real effort and game of chance...working on it...staying on it. Ken
Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny, I was thinking I was the only one in Cali which is why I'd given up on the possibility of networking and have been using the site more as an informational resource (which has proven valuable more than once). The main problem in Southern California (specifically the inland empire) is the lowballing and the existence of so many guys being in the business. However, I have found some people are willing to pay a premium for someone who can speak English and can address issues beyond mow, blow and go; but make no mistake they are few and far between, but are incredibly loyal once you find them...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya, I think this site cater's to the mid and eastern U.S. were irrigation isn't needed as much. I keep reading where these guys are bitching and moaning cause they have no rain and the lawns are dying/browning/not growing or going dormant. Can't even imagine having an account that doesn't have a system. Of course I don't usually bid job's by the "acre" either.
Here in Norcal, we don't have the "ethnic" competition as much as down south, especially in my small retirement community. If I decided to go with hispanic worker's I would lose at least a quarter of my business. I wouldn't say a lot of my customer's are bigget's, just come from a different generation.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b121774 View Post
Ya, I think this site cater's to the mid and eastern U.S. were irrigation isn't needed as much. I keep reading where these guys are bitching and moaning cause they have no rain and the lawns are dying/browning/not growing or going dormant. Can't even imagine having an account that doesn't have a system. Of course I don't usually bid job's by the "acre" either.
Here in Norcal, we don't have the "ethnic" competition as much as down south, especially in my small retirement community. If I decided to go with hispanic worker's I would lose at least a quarter of my business. I wouldn't say a lot of my customer's are bigget's, just come from a different generation.
We don't have that ethnic problem here in North California....think again please. This trade is 95% Latino in CA. This state is somewhere in the region of 30 to 40 % Hispanic population. Have you been to Stockton or Sacramento lately?

Regarding the issue the use of Hispanic workers, the key to do this a communication line as I said earlier, the trades are more and more Hispanic\Latino. The customer wants somebody to talk to if there is a request for service or complaint. That's where the electronic leash comes in, in the form or e-mail or cell phone.

Going from a 1 man show to having 6 guys working 2 different areas, i can't be in both places at once. Yes, I did loose a few because I wasn't around all the time, But it didn't kill me either.

I've been in this trade for 30 years. I've watched my dad(did for 40 years before retiring) and Uncle ***** about the low prices that are the current standard of today.

Let's face it, anybody who has a truck, mower can get into this trade. The trick to surviving and thrive in this trade is to offer a good quality service, good communication ability, and reliability.

Regarding irrigation..... They have always depended on natural rain for irrigation. The weather back east, you could depend on getting rain every few days. As you move west, before being developed, what was the terrain before? Most of the terrain was arid and less inches of rain per year.

Then our properties are a lot smaller & so much easier\cheaper to irrigate by sprinklers than the larger properties you would see back east.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

affordable lawn care from Dixon -between San Fransisco and Sacramento.