Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Tech. problem.......lolNew Holland LS 190 Bobcat
Old 04-07-2002, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm still typing...... will edit this post when done.
oops, forgot to edit this one and posted below.

Hey, moderator, think you could delete this one.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by DaveK; 04-07-2002 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Remo,

Ok you have me.. I did not specifiy that "inclusive" of 26,001, however I dd say a 10,000 trailer

Under the federal law it is that anything above 26,001 GCWR and or towing a unit with a GVWR of 10,000 or more must have a CDL.

Also have you heard anything about the possiblity of appling dot # to 10k and above vehicles??

We could go back to the old days of SNL ( Sat Night Live) of Point counter Point with with Jane Curtin and Dan Akaroid...

But you lay out the argument very well

I just did not add as much for airbrake restrictions, passanger, tankers, doubles, triples, etc..... but I think everyone gets your point.

Pete

Also CDL Class A holder
Old 04-07-2002, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"I have a 12' long single axle trailer rated at 2000#."

Ok, lets assume that the "rated capacity" is 2000 lb's. Meaning that the trailer and all it's contents is not to exceed 2000 lb's.

How does this differ from GVW rating?

It is my understanding that my truck rated at 8,600 lbs may exceed 8,600 lbs in weight for both truck and payload. Total weight of truck and load may not exceed 8,600 lbs.

What is the big deal with saying GVW rating anyway?? It gets the point across I think.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Like I said earlier, I didn't check Alabama laws, but here is Michigan's law concerning chauffeur licenses.
"A chauffeur license is required if you are employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more. (Michigan law considers someone to be employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle "when the person's employment customarily involves the necessary use of a motor vehicle for hire or for transporting passengers for hire, or for transporting for gain or hire any merchandise for display, sale, or delivery." (MCL 257.6(2)))

So in Michigan, even an F350 dually with a GVWR of 11,500 used for business purposes, does require a chauffeur license. Not CDL, chauffeur.

Quote:
Shady Brook& DaveK.
No I am not reading between the lines. Trailer capacity rating was mentioned, not trailer gvwr. That is where you are confused.
It says "trailer rated at 2000#." Again, how would you know if he was reffering to the gross rating (GVWR) or payload capacity? The way I read it, that would be the GAWR or GVWR.

Quote:
DaveK, you have found a manufacturer that chooses to post gvwr, and assume that ALL trailers have a gvwr. These manfacturer,s below DO NOT post a gvwr, according to your logic, they MUST be in violation of the federal trailer laws.
Wow, you are twisting what I said to the extreme. You said "Trailers do not have a GVWR." I simply offered proof that they do. It would seem that anyone that has "trailers ranging from trencher trailers with little 8" wheels, to a 59,000# lowboy, and several sizes in between" would know that trailers DO have a GVWR.

Quote:
These manfacturer,s below DO NOT post a gvwr, according to your logic, they MUST be in violation of the federal trailer laws.
I think you used caps on the wrong words. It should be "These manfacturer's below do not POST a gvwr..."
The first link shows "capacity" and "total weight", with a little simple math, you have the GVWR.
The second link shows NO weight specs, not even payload or trailer weight. So that link is meaning less.
And the third link (which I should have used as proof, not you) shows a page listing trailers and their capacity.
But, if you click on the trailer model, it shows a page listing (as the first spec) the GVWR!! The Model S-5-UT has a GVWR of 6080#.

As for the LS190 being a Bobcat. Bobcat is a brand name, New Holland is a brand name, so how can a New Holland be a Bobcat?
By the way, your links aren't working because you forgot the i in equipment here is a working link. http://adcache.equipmenttraderonline.../1/2119511.htm And just because somebody calls it a "skidsteer bobcat" in a classified ad, does NOT mean that it is correct. But thanks for trying to show me what the equipment that I use is.

Last edited by DaveK; 04-07-2002 at 01:19 PM.