Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kawasaki not running right

I have a 23 hp kawasaki ds07 on a ferris ztr.. The motor is popping a lot and then bogging down. it runs better with no load on it but but not like it should then turn the blades on try to move to the motor gets way worse.. i change the carb today but couldnt replace the gaskets.. nothing.. then i did a oil change, air filter, fuel filter, and plugs.. and nothing helped.. the carb i noticed is getting back sut and one spark plug was all black but not a wet black/ not oil.. the motor is about six years old and has about 2000 hrs well maintained but worked pretty good in its older years..
Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have a 23 hp kawasaki ds07 on a ferris ztr.. The motor is popping a lot and then bogging down. it runs better with no load on it but but not like it should then turn the blades on try to move to the motor gets way worse.. i change the carb today but couldnt replace the gaskets.. nothing.. then i did a oil change, air filter, fuel filter, and plugs.. and nothing helped.. the carb i noticed is getting back sut and one spark plug was all black but not a wet black/ not oil.. the motor is about six years old and has about 2000 hrs well maintained but worked pretty good in its older years..
I've mentioned this before, but here I go again. If it's not the carb, it might very likely be the coils. It happened to my Exmark Lazer Z, and the dealer told me it's a common problem with the 23 HP Kawasaki. In my case, the sputtering and popping occurred only when I put the mower under heavy load such as climbing a hill or cutting tall grass. The coils faltered, and that made the plugs not fire every time; therefore, the plugs fouled and the carb also got soot in it. If you just changed the plugs recently and they are fouled again, bad coils might be your problem. Changing the coils seemed to fix my problem, and of course I then had to re-plug it again. I might have gotten away with just cleaning the plugs after the coil changes, but new plugs are fairly inexpensive.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the imput i was thinking maybe a safety switch on its way out but the coil makes a lot more sense.. i will be trying to pick some up tomorrow and i will update everyone.. thanks again chris
Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well today the dealer had two in stock so i changed both just to try to save head aches down the road.. the motor is back to runnung great!! thanks larryf
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
well today the dealer had two in stock so i changed both just to try to save head aches down the road.. the motor is back to runnung great!! thanks larryf
Glad it worked out ok for you. You may want to go back and look at the carb again. The popping and sputtering caused by the bad coils might have caused it to get dirty again.