Register free!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Sugar maple problems

Help! We lined out about 200 Legacy sugar maple in April (1" branched) and they were not on irrigation. They leafed out slowly but looked ok until about three weeks ago. They have developed severe browning on many leaves of almost every tree in the field. Only about two trees look well. We had a dry June, but July was very wet (6+ inches of rain) and other, older sugar maples have been doing well about 20 rows away in this same field. One more thing, the honeylocust that we lined out this spring in the next row to the SM are also starting to show yellowing of the leaves that at the tips of the branches.

I'm suspecting nutrient problems, but just not sure where to go with this one....
Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

It's hard to venture a guess at this point - not seeing site conditions, the actual trees themselves, etc. But like you said it might be a nutrient problem (werid it is restricted to what seems to be a small area) Also - you said yellowing leaves - look for a iron deficiency. First thing I would do is take a soil test. Possibly 2 one for the area doing well and another for the area doing poor.

You said July was wet but what about Aug - epically since its been so hot and I think you said no irrigation.

What kinda fert did you use, right application, timing etc.

Whats the cover crop, lots of weeds (competition)??

When you say they looked "ok" what does that mean - stressed? If they were stressed and then had little water w. a hot few weeks look into giving a good watering.

Again is hard to say there could be numerous things. I would take some pics do a soil test and talk to your extension agent - they are a HUGE resource.

Good Luck and let us know what comes about....

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
~Thomas Jefferson