Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-13-2000, 04:45 PM
apacella

I am planning on installing a new lawn this fall and am interested in opinions on the best (mainly in appearance) type of seeds (fescue, bermuda, rye, etc). The lawn will only get 30-40% sun, is located in Ohio (moderately hot, humid summers, cold winters) and won't get much use (ie kids playing on it). A sprinkler system is already in, so irregation isn't an issue. I can spend a moderate amount of time maintaining but not anything excessive (ie no bent lawns). In the pro's opinion, what's the best?
Old 07-14-2000, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your best source for information would be your county cooperative extension office. You can find a listing by counties at http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/. Ohio is a good sized state, and you do not indicate a specific area. County extension can give you info specific to your location.<br>See OSU critique of different varieties at http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ohioline/b546/b546_6.html. You will most likely be using cool season grasses, and my preference is always bluegrass. Whatever you use, use new varieties; while they are often more expensive, you will have better results.<br>One thing to watch: if you use a blend including ryegrass, rye should never be more than 10%. Because the rye germinates so quickly, all other types in the mix are stunted at higher rye concentrations.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GroundKprs