Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-05-2000, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a house where the entire yard is on a grade. I paid a landscaper to grade the yard, spread topsoil and hydroseed. Two hours after he left, we got two inches of rain in 40 minutes. I now have a yard full of large ruts where the water washed out. I am trying to fix the yard in pieces since it is 1.5 acres. I spread 2 yards of topsoil, put down seed, and starter fertilizer in one section of the yard. The next day all of the topsoil was gone as we had another downpour. How do I get rid of these ruts, when the soil keeps washing away?!?! Please help, as I am tired of spending money and busting my butt, to wake up and find it all in the street.
Old 07-05-2000, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a great product called 'curlex' It is a erosion control netting that works almost flawlessly! You may not be able to locate it as a homeowner, but may be able to get a contractor to install some for you.<p>In case your wondering, it looks like 'easter' basket grass, you know, the green plastic stuff you set all the eggs in. They use it along roads a lot of times, perhaps you have seen it, as you can't miss its bright, fluorescent greeen color. Comes in rolls of many sizes, popular size is 4 ' by 125 or so.<p>If you can't find curlex, try this. <p>Burlap, large rolls of it. Go to your local garden center/supply yard and ask if they sell or if they can locate rolls (probably will be 8' by 100' or 4' by 100') and unroll this out across the area. <p><br>This will help erosion signifigantly, along with enhance the grass seed germination. After a couple of weeks, when you see large portion of the grass has germinated, you can remove the burlap then. By then, the grass should hold back the soil from any erosion.<br>Also, you will need metal stakes to stake the burlap down every so often.<p>Hope this helps some.<p>PS. perhaps, since it was only hydroseeded, you could also throw straw across the top. However, if erosion is that bad, this will wash away too, but may be worth a quick/cheaper effort to try before using the burlap/curlex.<br>
Old 07-05-2000, 10:53 PM

If you can find someone familiar Conwed Fibers products they can help you. Conwed makes one product that seems almsot perfect for bad slopes. It's fiber mulch that (I think) is reinforcd with polyester strands. It is applied with a hydroseeder and once it dries it isn't reactivated by rainfall. It is applied very thick, up to an inch as I recall. Expensive, but if it works it might be the way to go.
Old 07-06-2000, 02:16 AM
Millenium Member

SOD!! If only a certin part of the lawn has this problem, this would be the best way to handle this.
Old 07-06-2000, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I looked into different types of mats and such to put down. I could not understand how the mat would keep the soil from washing out underneath it. To me it seemed like putting a blanket on the Colorado river and expecting the Grand Canyon not to get any deeper. Am I missing something? If those blankets work, I am off to the races.<p>I thought of sod, but it is such a large area which needs repair that it is beyond my budget.
Old 07-10-2000, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Brento,<br>Trust them. The &quot;Erosion Control Blankets&quot; work. That's what they were designed for. Go for it and get that lawn established! The technology works something like this, I believe. The blanket will soak in and allow a certain amount of water to go through to the soil. Once there is a saturation point the excess water should run off of the top of the blanket, while holding most of the soil in place. Its not always 100% fool proof for every situation, but it is certainly better than not using anything to help hold the soil back. Once the seed has solidly germinated the turf root system will hold back the soil. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2000, 08:29 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Brento, Check out North American Greens web site http://www.northamericangreen.com they manufacture the blankets that you need. They have blanket that you can use in rivers, might be the best in the biz. It also depends on how it is fasten down some guys just use staples along the edges and none in the middle, but there is a patteren that you must follow so the blanket stays in contact with the ground.<p>----------<br>paul<p><p>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: paul<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: paul