Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2000, 11:35 PM
Banned

$50 per acre per cut
Old 01-21-2000, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>Thank you again. Your Aunt is a long ways from me I am down state. Your idea of getting someone new is a good one, provided I can find a good working new person. I have tried to get someone from outside my area but no success. No six days four is the maximum. If I can't find someone soon I may decide to do it myself. I would have to buy a really good mower and high wheel trimmer. Buying is the easy part, learning to use them I don't know. I can hear Lazer now telling me to get a LAZER and Eric saying get a Dixie Chopper. In my area, I have seen more WALKERS than anything else. <p>Doc
Old 01-22-2000, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen,<p>Thank you for the kindness, I though that I may have been offering to little but that is not the case according to the figure that you gave me. Your figure is below what I have been offering.<p>Doc
Old 01-22-2000, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

UREEEEKER, I got it, you said you might buy the equipment yourself? Why don't you all (ya'll ) get together and buy the needed equipment then go in search of a guy /gal who has experience working with a lawn care co. and pay him a decent wage, this way it would provide more opportunity for him/her to get out on his own. Maybe you could offer to sell him the equipment after a year of service for the depreciated value! You would have a guy/girl in your pocket then! There are many employees of lawn care crews looking to open their own business but do not have the resources. This way everybody wins, you carry the burden of the equipment for a while until he could afford to pay you for it. Make a contract, stipulate that you will offer to sell after 1 year of service if all homeowners agree that the quality and dependability was there. You might make the overall length of the contract 2 years with the option to buy the equipment after 1. Set him up as an independant contractor and 1099 him at the end of the year. You won't be responsible for the taxes, just the equipment. Add some clauses stating he must maintain equipment i.e., oil changes, tune ups and such.This would give a guy a chance to get in thwe business but would have to go through a 2 year( basic training )stint with your group. It could also give an otherwise unemployed man/woman a job for at least 2 years! Think about that and let me know.<p>Homer
Old 01-22-2000, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>I greatly appreciate all your help. You have out done yourself this time. It is a stroke of genius, absolutely brilliant. I will put this matter before the others but I will be needing some ideas as to what to buy and the projected cost. In this way I can present everything with figures and an equipment list. I will let each one know their projected responsibility and we can make an informed decision. We also possess skills that would be of assistance to this person. Iím sorry I didnít get back to you sooner but the server seems to have experienced some technical difficulties. <p>Doc<br>
Old 01-22-2000, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Doc, I'm glad I could help you out. I feel there is a person out there waiting for someone like you. It's times like these when everyone is supposed to be prospering so much (I'm still on the list )that we should lend a hand and offer opportunities to those less fortunate. A lot of people have the desire to succeed but find themselves overwhelmed by the complexity of it all. If you find the right guy and get him on his way with proper coaching, you will instill in him a sense of pride and immense gratitude. So many people could easily offer their time and assistance to others and make a change in their life. I believe we all should accept a challenge at some point and help others less fortunate than ourselves.<p>Your equipment list should consist of a good commercial mower, preferably a zero turn mower such as a Dixie Chopper like I own. I would suggest a 50&quot; or 60&quot; cut with at least a 22 hp motor. This will run around $9000.00. One trimmer would be sufficient for your new man and an edger if you have any concrete you would like edged. I paid $324.00 for each of mine, they are Stihl. A blower is next on the shopping list, again I use a Stihl and Echo, the Stihl is better and lighter, a lot lighter! My price was $435.00 tax taters and all. I don't know the terrain but you might need a 21&quot; push/self propelled mower. I don't use mine a whole lot but I have to on occasion. Mine is a Snapper (non commercial) super six. I think it was $499.00. It adds up quick doesn't it? If this poor ol' redneck in Alabama can manage these things I know collectively you guys can, and you can always get rid of it later if things don't work out. If you get good on the mower, you might even enjoy it.<p>I wouldn't let this stuff leave the block until you gained trust in your new man so one of you or all of you would have to store it someplace safe. <p>I'm all out of suggestions right at the moment, but I'm sure I will think of some more!! Let me know how it goes.<p>Homer
Old 01-23-2000, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Homer,<p>I am going to save all of this for the future. I intend to let the future person know, that this whole thing was your idea and that the credit belongs to you. My group and I will only be filling in the blanks. I have never seen anyone in this area using a Dixie Chopper only Walkers, Lazers and John Deeres. Walkers seem to be king in the area. I checked the net and found that there is a Dixie Chopper dealer only a few miles from me. I was surprised. I have seen Ericís website and it is just beautiful. Does the Dixie Chopper have a mulching system and if so does it work well? Homer, I am going to suggest to the rest of the group that each of us put up 3K. I believe that we can get everything you said for that. Thank you. What do you think about me starting a new post? In this post I will ask owners of the main mowers to give me the pros and cons of their machines. <p>Doc<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 03:04 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hi Doc, Don't listen to Lazer, he will have you going to the wrong store. LOL You mentioned checking out my website, did you read how I get rid of clippings on the clippings page? Those lawns are cut with that method using my 6 and 7 year old Choppers. If you could move those lawns over here to Chicago, I would be glad to cut them. I have several where I cut 3 in a row and putting those stripes across all of them at once looks neat. For the right price, I'd sell my grass hut and come out there and mow them every day. We would have stripes going every direction possible. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Eric,<p>Thank you for the reminder, I read your information but needed to refresh my recollection. Is your method a type of mulching? Are Dixie Choppers able to bag? I have never seen anyone here using them. I told Homer, I was surprised to find there is a dealer only a few miles from me. Homer said they cost around 9K but he didnít say which model. Do you have a suggestion? Also what is your opinion of the Lazers, John Deeres, and Walkers? I would think each has strengths and weaknesses. LAZER, if you are out there speak for your machine. Any Walker owners speak also. Thank you for your time Eric.<p>Doc<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whats up Doc? That would be a great idea, the more knowledgable you are the greater your ability to make an informed decision. Another suggestion is to get the dealers in yur area to come out and give all of you a demo of their machine. I would tell them that you are about to drop around 12K and you want to see ahead of time what you are buying. <p>Eric would probably be as informed as anyone on the Choppers. You should join us in his Dixie Chopper chat room and we could discuss the finer points. One advantage the Chopper has over all the rest is the O.C.D.C.(OPERATOR CONTROLLED DISCHARGE CHUTE ) This is standard on all their commercial models and enables the operator do close off the chute when mulching and open it when he wants to discharge. I find it to be a valuable tool in this business because there are many times you will encounter wet grass and no matter what anyone says, wet grass clumps up. With a machime dedicated to mulching only you have to run over it and over it to smooth everything out, the Chopper can mulch it once and if the clippings begin to clump the chute can be opened up and the operator can run over them again dispersing them easily. As for which unit to buy I would suggest an XW model meaning wide chassis, with a 22 to 25 hp engine and 60&quot; deck. Dixie does offer a bagger for the 60&quot; model as well. Another option would be to purchase a pull behind sweeper,they work well for picking up debris and clippings. You guys could start a compost pile with all that you're going to have and call it &quot;COMMUNITY COMPOST&quot; ! You would save on compost by making your own and there should be plenty of it mowing every 4 days. Personally, I am a satisfied owner of 2 choppers, 1 50&quot; Flatlander and 1 72&quot; City Slicker. I have had no trouble with either and would buy another in a heartbeat. One of my competitors in this area runs Lazers and Choppers. I asked him one day which one he prefered most and his answer was the Chopper. It's all a matter of opinion I guess thats why I would get a demonstration of each machine. Luckily you have a little time before you have to decide.<p>Put it to a vote on the forum again, but ask for the pros and cons, not just which model. This forum has been a valuable learning tool for me and I've met some very helpful people. I hope we can keep it.<p>Homer