Register free!

Old 04-19-2002, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fixing other companies mistakes

I went to a repair yesterday for a previous customer. I repaired her system at the previous home but at the brand new home she had a full landscape job, which I don't do, so they also did the irrigation. This landscaper/sprinkler contractor did most the homes in this neighborhood. Well she had problems soon after the system was in. Drip zone was always running and everything was flooding at back end of property. Contractor replaced diaphragm a few times and it stll did the same after a while. I don't think he every flushed the valve out as there was sand inside when I fixed it.

The flooding issue - the homeowner kept telling him there was a leak in the system. "NO, no, no. It is just sloped that way". Well of course I found the leak. Landscaping pin straight through the poly pipe. It wasn't hard to find.

I'm not trying to keep bringing the same issue up, but he didn't know what he was doing. One zone was also stretched at about 17 GPM. The heads have hardly any resistance when you push down. The homeowner asked about adding heads and there is no way. The system is still under warranty and she paid ME to fix it because the other contractor couldn't. That has happened many times in the past years. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but you have to learn what's going on before you jump right in.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YOu should have posted this in the other posts where the sprinkler guys were getting yelled at!!!

Hey, Dana I am here. 3 deer just ran out of my yard when I opened the front door. Scared the crap out of me. Next time I am going to look out the windows first so I can see them for a bit before they run off. Man it is alittle chilly this morning.. I plan to buy a HUGE thermometer and hang if on a pine tree where I can see it before I go outside next time.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dana, I hear your pain. I too work in Colorado Springs and have many stories of repairs like yours. There are many inept systems and sprinkler guys out there. Everytime I run into one I raise my rates by 5 bucks an hour. I now charge 425/hour! Well, not really but sometimes I wish I could.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah Tony it's getting cold. I'm scared with all the resi systems I have turned on. I drained a couple of comm properties though. I'm hoping it snows tomorrow so I don't have to work. Then I can catch up on phone calls since Windy (secretary/girlfriend) is in LA.

I was replacing a valve yesterday in the Skyway area -SW Colo Spgs- and was surrounded by about 12 deer. I just walked up to the valve box and they jumped a little and moved, but they came back and the closest one was about 10 feet from me. I love the wildlife. We also get bears and a few mountain lions here. Had a bear in my yard last summer.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very strange thread.....