Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2000, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doc,<p>What brand of mower did you purchase?<br>
Old 02-17-2000, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,<p>I must apologize to everyone but I had a death in the family about the time the server went down. When I returned I found a war going on here and didnít wish to find myself under attack, so I just read the posts and waited for it to come to an end. It didnít. We had gone to see the Walker and made a final decision. We picked up a used walk-behind. It is beat up but it run pretty well. Out of the three machines we discussed, Dixie Chopper, Exmark and Walker, we have chosen two. We ordered one new machine and we got another late model with a blown engine. We will rebuild the engine. We were fortunate, we came across a man that was pretty angry because he had bought this machine new for his son who was starting his own business last year. The son never really got started and he didnít have any respect for the equipment. I am not going to state what was purchased because I have no desire to become a part of the war here. Others of my group are interviewing persons to make up two teams. We are going to set things up using the basic ideas from a story in the Dixie Chopper brochure. In behalf of our group, I wish to thank all of you for your help. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! <p>Doc<br>
Old 02-17-2000, 04:04 PM
Banned

Doc, sorry for the tragedy in your family.Good luck in your venture.Don't worry about the war, after all everybody has one,an opionion that is.
Old 02-17-2000, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Doc. I understand about staying away due to the negative nature of some of the posts, I apologize for my part. I am glad though to hear that things are progressing along, sounds as if you guys will be ready for spring. Keep us up to date as things go a long, even though we bicker a little at times I feel we are all still making progress and sharing information that we would not otherwise be able to do if it weren't for the forum.<p>Again, I wish you continued success in your quest and hope you keep us updated as you go along.<p>Homer
Old 02-22-2000, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! I wish I would have read this post earlier. I just read the whole thing from start to finish. It was like a story. When I got to the end of the story and I was excited and I was just about to find out what kind of mower was purchased and then I was let down. It was like watching a movie and having the elctricity go off during an exciting part. But, anyways, good luck with your new mowers Doc and also with your employee search. <p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 06-11-2000, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Doc,<p>How has the arrangements worked out, so far? Keep us updated.<p>Bill
Old 06-11-2000, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi doc. Sorry to hear about your loss. i just read this who thing from start to finish and agree with Bryan. Its a whole movie and the electric goes out. well i learned a lot about mowers. i am not clear as to what you got though. I wish i was in ny. i love doing work for retired people and what you have is perfect for me. i am just startin out. well ive been on this topic for the past two hours so i better go.<br>Scottie<br>STS Lawn Care
Old 06-15-2000, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,<p>It is nice of you to inquire about how we are doing. I wasn't going to answer because certain persons feel that we older ones have no useful purpose but to make things more difficult for the young. We are doing fine and have set up three teams. Two are field teams and one is management, maintenance, trouble shooting and field if necessary. We only do older persons. We are all having fun and making a few dollars too. I continue to read and learn from every post made here.<p>Doc<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Doc
Old 06-15-2000, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well at least you come by and pay us an occasional visit! I'm glad to hear things are going o.k. Doc, sorry you left us and sorrier you haven't let us in on your progress. Don't let anyone run you off again, there are some of us who are concerned and do give a %%%%%%. <p>Best of luck,<p>Homer
Old 06-15-2000, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Doc.<p>I just tripped over this thread. It sounds like you and your neighbors are having a lot of fun. I am curious as to the teams Are you and or your neighbors doing the mowing? Great. I am 53 and just bought a used (2 year old) professional mower (61 inch 3 wheel rider) I bought it because I have 4+ Acres, I know and understand good machinery, and it is fun to use and it's my money. There is a tremendous wealth of information in most people who have been on this earth 60+ years. I have often met fascinating people in there 60s and 70s and wished that we came with a network port so we could download all that knowledge. I have learned in my short time that wisdom comes from experience and experience comes from mistakes. It takes time to make enough mistakes to become wise. Anyway, Keep up the good and fun work, I hope you will alert us when your business hits 1 mil a year and let us know about any articles about it.<p>Frank