Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2000, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a new female dog whose urine is <br>burning my grass in large brown spots. Is <br>there anything I can do to solve this <br>problem?
Old 03-09-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The simple answer would be to get rid of the dog. However, I'll assume this isn't a option, but there is not a whole lot else to do. If you can't stand them though, you'll just have dig out those little spots (just rought rake the dead grass and rough the surface up), and spot seed them all. You could put a little topsoil on them, seed them, and then use a product called Penn mulch. Works great for small spots.
Old 03-09-2000, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One more thing, kind of on the lighter side. I just remembered someone telling me that its the females urine, and not the males, that really burns the lawn. Don't know if this is true though. If it is though, think about trading in that female and get a male......lol. Just kidding.
Old 03-10-2000, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The brown spots are salt burn. Dog urine is high in salt, and will burn lawn like winter salting or a fertilizer spill. Since female squats and empties her bladder in one place, it is female spots you will see. Males generally use urine a few drops at a time to mark territory on upright structures, so there is not high salt content, and no noticeable burn.<p>If female is kept away from damaged area, it will recover on its own in 6 mon. I have had female German shepherds. Have a bark mulched area in shady areas behind & beside garage where grass will not grow too well. When getting dog as pup, just train her that this is her potty area.<p>I did see a posting somewhere that someone's vet had given them something to give the dog to reduce the damage. You might want to check that with your vet. Let us know if that is a real answer.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-11-2000, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not much you can do as long as she keeps going on your lawn. Unless you're prepared to follow along behind her with a garden hose and wash the turf immediately after she goes. If you have the room, put in a dog run (just a fenced area with gravel floor). She won't harm the lawn anymore and the gravel is better for her paws than grass.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 03-12-2000, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jaynel, find very detailed explanation at &lt;a href=&quot;http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html&quot;&gt;DOG-ON-IT LAWN PROBLEMS&lt;/a&gt;<br><p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-12-2000, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey grounds,<br>Thanks for that article.. Great stuff. I printed it out and am going to keep that one on file. <p>Thanks, steveair