Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2002, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Season agreement

I know a lot of you use written contracts, however, i'm starting out PT this year. An account i did an estimate for in March, ok'd the price and agreed to it for the season. Now they are saying the got a "substantially" lower price and are going with them. Do you think i should seek recourse, ie. court. Or would only holding to a verbal agreement not hold much water? I was doing it for $110, the new people offered $65, how they're making money i don't know.

Thanks as always.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to business. Without a signed contract, you don't have much to go on. Courts tend to favor the homeowner over contractors anyways. What's to say that he couldnt' cancel service at any time. If he was obligated for xx period of time, that should be in writing. And then they still have the option to cancel within 5 days of signing the contract.

Even if you did have a signed contract - ask yourself if you want to work for someone who doesn't want you? Sometimes you just have to let them go regardless.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree LL.

I had a contract with a commercial property last season ...after a spring clean up, the customer found out that she had signed on for 2 years with the previous contractor. Here she was with 2 contractors signed up and in distress. I politely told her not to worry about the contract with me. She paid me for the spring clean up.... I did the snow removal for her this winter and now this year, will be doing the mowing etc.
Guess what Im trying to say is ..don't worry about it. Handle it in a courteous manner and chances are they will do business with you again when the "lowballer" screws up.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pick your battles.....

(this ain't one of them)