Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Gravley ZT2250 - problems

Just purchased a new ZT2250 and I already need to take it back to the Dealership (Erb Equipment), it runs like crap ! It surges and sputters, sound terrible and this is only when its cutting. I'm loading it up and taking it back to see what they can do. I'm very mad and I'm wondering if I made a good choice in mowers. It has a 22HP Briggs in it.
Anyone else have problems with this model ??
Old 04-08-2002, 02:18 PM

ZT2250

It is hard to diagnosis without seeing the unit, but this sounds like a fuel problem. Did it run ok when you picked up from the dealer?

If you have filled the tanks with gas that you have had for several months you may want to drain that out and put in fresh gas before you take it into the dealer.

Todays fuel will not last nearly as long as fuels of just a few years ago. Most manufacturers are oxygenating the fuel to help it burn cleaner but it also causes the fuel to breakdown much faster. Storing fuel over the winter will require a fuel stablizer to keep it from spoiling.

There may be other reasons for your problems that the dealer should be able to resolve.

Respects,
Dan Kilgas
Product Category Manager
Ariens/Gravely Co.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

ZT2250

The dealer filled both tanks before I loaded it up to take home, the mower runs good until you lower the deck, use at full trottle and start cutting. The grass was fairly thick but not more than 3.25 inches high. The engine labors and sounds terrible, I looked at the fuel filter and it has very little or any gas in it, I would think it should be a least 1/2 to 3/4's full during operation ??
Old 04-09-2002, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't want to step on anyone's toes but, it sounds like a fuel flow problem. The filter not having fuel in it seems like an indicator. Is the fuel line pinched? Also, in my opinion, I wouldn't burn stabilized fuel. It's ok for sitting in the winter but, it's low octane come spring and won't burn correctly.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:14 AM

ZT2250

There are several other things to check.

New engines will not develop full horsepower until they have been broken-in. Depending on the engine and machining tollarances between the piston, cylinder & rings, this could take from 5 ~ 30 hrs. of operation.

1. What height of cut is your deck set at?

2. There may be a bad bearing on a deck spindle or idler. Check
to see that the blades rotate freely.

3. Make sure that the mower belt is routed correctly and not
rubbing on anything.

4. Have you tried switching from one tank to the other? Maybe
there is debris in one of the fuel lines.

5. Do you see black smoke when the unit is operating under
load? If so, check to see if the choke is adjusted correctly and
that it is not restricting air flow.

Respects,
Dan Kilgas
Old 04-09-2002, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Dan

Dan, All I know is that it does not seem to be operating right, Erb Equipment Belleville, Il 618 233-0088 has my mower, I assume they will check all of this and getting it running smoothly, your more than welcome to drop them a line with any suggestions, I told them I need it by this Wed.
Thanks for your time.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

ZT2250 - problem

My mower has been down over a week now, and I have only got to cut with it for about 2 hours before it broke down, I've called the dealership and they are still waiting on parts, I'm so dis-satisfied with that machine with all the problems after only 2 hours. The dealership did offer me a loaner with was a company reps demo, I love the profermance with this machine, its a demo Z250 with a Kaw engine, I would love to get this machine even though it might cost a little more I would rather have this machine and try to work it out with the dealership, hopefully I can.

One thing I think dealship should offer is a chance to actually cut with the machines before you make a purchase, if they would have offered that to me I would have seen that that was not the machine that I wanted to spend my money on and I would have probably choosen the demo machine I'm using now. All I can say is that at this point I don't want anything to do with the zt2250.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well? What was the problem?
Old 04-26-2002, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

zt2250

The ZT2250 problem was in the Briggs govenor spring, the service dept did not have the parts to fix it, I got a z250 with a 23hp Kaw to use while they were waiting for parts. I decided to keep the loaner and pay the difference, this machine is really a fine running machine, it cuts great and I'm glad I decided on this one instead. I kinda thought the dealership would give me a break on the price difference but they would not. Oh well !
Old 04-27-2002, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know if it was a design flaw or a bad part or possibly poor assembly?
Closed Thread