Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie From Minnesota

Hey whats up guys hears a little about me, Im a younger guy 22 to be exact. My dad has been in the biz since befor I was born so I have a super advantage with that Im just looking to branch off and become HUGE and very profitable.. I live In a prime location 10 min west of minneapolis and 5 Min north of lake Minnetonka. i work for my dad were currently running a 60 inch lazer, 48 Dane, 62 P.O.S lol and a walk behind.. 97 chevy 2500 with a aluminum trailor we also have a 89 diesel dump truck and a back up dane with 1800 hours, we work 4-5 days a week with about 40 Lawns... we have a couple that take half a day or more.. and also hes winding down and loves to bowl/fish/jeep ect. As for me after highschool I have been going to school for differant things trying to find my own path and working for him over the summer, but schools just not my thing and I think I have a very good advantage hear.. its not like my dads the GM of general mills of something but I think I have a chance to make a real good living at a young age.. sooo hears my plan let me no how you like it, first Ill buy a 03-06 3/4 ton truck and a aluminim trailor, To save money I will live with my parents untill have have the right credit history and rent out a garage in my area IM hopeing he will let me use/buy a blower and a weeder.. next Ill prolly start out with 2 DANEs because they have pretty good cutting area and arnt too big, the biggest advantage is that the OHLAND LAWN SERVICE name has been around for more than 2 decades.. all I need to do is advertise it properly I have a general Idea but I need some ideas/tips on what I need to do. I want to stand out and pull whole neigtborhoods.. Thanks alot

Mike
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From a fellow Minnesotan, best of luck to you in your 'new' venture.
It is nice to be partially set up from your Dad's accounts. Takes some of the legwork (and capital costs) away.
Remember to not take on a bunch of debt just starting out....pay as you go.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-02-2008, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best advice I can give you is to pay for all your equipment before you expand.

It takes a little longer but as soon as we had all our payments made we now only purchase equipment with cash and while that crunches the cash flow sleeping is a lot better.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome. Good to see some fellow MN Guys. What cities do you do work in exactly? I am in Edina area. Welcome and good luck on your new adventure!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Im located in plymouth and thanks for the tips.. ill make sure I dont buy everything at once.

Tags
advantage , minnesota , newbie