Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2008, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

How and when to pay employess?

I have enough clients right now where I need to expand and hire on at least one person to help me with the work.

Assuming I'm able to do that easily enough:

How much would you guys recommend paying them per/hr?

And secondly, for what do they get paid for?

Do I pay them only for actual work done? Or do I pay them each hour they are out with me? (including transit between jobs and breaks, etc)

Help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You pay them like any other legal business, by the hour. From the time the are at your house in the morning to the time they leave your house in the evening. It is your job as the boss to create efficient work habbits so they make you money. You will have breakdowns, etc caused by your employees that will cost you time and money including their hourly wage during it. Good luck finding a keeper.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

i know here in wv i have to pay them by the hour plus give a minimum of 30 minutes for lunch and atleast two 15 minute breaks on top of the 30 minute lunch. as far as pay start them out cheap. if they prove themselves then reward them. its my value that you must work to get paid so if they do great pay them great if they are halfa$$ pay them halfa$$
Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pay hourly, Pay them a fair wage. It really depends on their experience level. Raises should be determined by performance. I like to offer them incentives such as doing a great job and going above and beyond gets them a few extra bucks. They always seem to like that and work harder to get it.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try calling the state labor dept and get them to send you a guide on everything related to employees rights and everything related to employer rights .also make sure you contact your insurance agent and get some workers comp.you should also set something up with an accountant or payroll company so you can get the payroll taxes taken out properly.good luck
Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we start off at 10.00 an hour. lunches are paid for. and at least once a week I take everyone out for lunch and we chat for about 1.5 hours.

WE pay on Fridays. and I make sure everyone gets time to go to the bank before it closes,
Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tried paying through lunch time but sometimes lunches were lasting too long so I stopped doing that. We also start around 10 an hour unless they are more experienced.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

depending on ther experience i usually start out at 7.50 hr. if they have experience then it is adjusted based upon it. I know it sounds cheap but i do work in the 3rd poorest state in the country
Old 10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

pay starts when work starts, however the start of work may be getting in the truck to head out, or an hours worth of equipment maintenance.

pay ends when we part for the day.

if we have downtime...i eat it, its not their fault and they have better things to do than sit at the mower dealership and do nothing. so if we're down they get paid.

i dont pay through lunch, .5 hours gets taken out of their time.

i dont do the 10 & 2 breaks, they get enough break time between lawns. during the summer or on a really tight route i do offer them a few minutes, but normally i work anyway and they dont like sitting watching me work.

the lowest i start at is $8/hr, if they prove themselves to me pay goes up. the most i pay is $12/hr.

once they've earned my trust they also get some benefits (i.e. truck usage, equipment privileges, nextel phone...)
Old 10-19-2008, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS View Post
try calling the state labor dept and get them to send you a guide on everything related to employees rights and everything related to employer rights .also make sure you contact your insurance agent and get some workers comp.you should also set something up with an accountant or payroll company so you can get the payroll taxes taken out properly.good luck
Good info here, also need to contact the state employment security commission so that you can pay umemployment insurance.

Tags
employees , money , time