Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2002, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turning on Systems

Was looking for some help on turning on irrigation systems for the year after they have been blown out for the winter. After I locate the shutoff valve near the backflow preventer, do I just turn it and cycle through the programs for testing, or is there more to it? I have the Irritrol manual but it says nothing about this step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 05-09-2002, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Close the outbound valve on the backflow then open the supply valve. Turn on the most distant zone then open the backflow partially till main is filled and some water is coming from the heads. Then open valve fully. Test rest of zones and walk each one head to head checking for leaks around heads if pressure loks normal. Make sure rotors rotate and all heads pop up and down freely.

Spray heads frequemtly will get overgrown sufficiently in the off season to the point where they may not pop up make sure none are missing. Make sure there is no grass in spray nozzles. Roots like to grow in some, particularly Toro full circle sprays.

Start ups are not a job for a beginner unless the job is relatively new making a liklihood that it will be problem free. Older systems can develop problems that the untrained individual may not understand or recognize let alone be able to take care off. I've seen many heads left buried on corners or in the middle of runs because the assumption is you can see everything that is there. That is not true. Pressure difference between zones are not noticed if all the heads are present. In reality pressure differences can indicate leaks, valve problems, changes in supply pressure etc.

Hard no, lot to know, yes.