Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always get paid,
nobody rides for free.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Bill monthly, they have to pay bills every month for utilities and such. Billing monthly is pretty standard. All this pay at time of service stuff is unprofessional. In business there is always risk involved. I have had people in the past attempt to avoid payment, but after i get the run around i make a house call. People are afraid of confrontation. House calls always work.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill monthly, they have to pay bills every month for utilities and such. Billing monthly is pretty standard. All this pay at time of service stuff is unprofessional. In business there is always risk involved. I have had people in the past attempt to avoid payment, but after i get the run around i make a house call. People are afraid of confrontation. House calls always work.

What would you say? When would you show up? Would you call first?

I would be so worried I would go off on some of these deadbeat weasels. I never even want to phone problem past due accounts. I usually write a letter... and only after I have calmed down and really thought things out.

I wish I did have the sand to go face to face with them being calm and rational.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I always stop and think about what i am about to do before i get out of my truck. Always remain calm and professional even when they are not. Let them know that you have sent them one or multiple bills that as of now have not been paid, and that sense you never recieved a response from then you decided to swing by. Let them know what they owe you (they already know this) and explain that it would be better if they could just write you a check now. If they still don't want to pay explain that lawn care is an elective service and is not done for free and if you do not recieve your money you will pursue other legal actions in order to get it. It usually never comes to this, i don't give them any warning that i am stopping by, it usually surprises them which works to my advantage. You provide a service that has a price, go get your money.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

...sflannig.. You sound very professional, and seem to be a very matter-of-fact individual. that is excellent advice.

It is a fine line to walk between being aggressive about such things, and standing up for what you know is right. I will try to remember this.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep an invoice book in the truck that I use for mowing. But for landscaping I print invoices from Quick Books. Although I make out invoices in the truck for mowing they are still recorded into Quick Books. I like to have a steady cash flow throughout the month instead of waiting until the end of that month to get all my money at one time

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower