Register free!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
The title of this forum is commercial landscaping, not homeowner questions. Call your county extension agent and discuss it with him. Don't bother us again.

Be happy a homeowner is trying to get some helpful advice instead of just blaming the installer. I would like few customers like this.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The title of this forum is commercial landscaping, not homeowner questions. Call your county extension agent and discuss it with him. Don't bother us again.
That is a rather rude comment
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
First of all, thanks for all the replies. Letís not insult the installer just yet since there may be details I didnít get into. I am just wondering about the health of these trees and whether I need to take action to protect or replace them.
My backyard has an aggressive uphill slope, I love my house hate my yard. The entire project was done in July, the waterfall was installed/mulch/deck painted/shrubs/trees all done at the same time.
I can honestly say that I donít think my guy knows his trees, I canít blame him too much because we had VERY little rain over the summer; everyone who did not have irrigation lost their yard. It was constant 99 degree sunny heat all summer long.
Lesson learned, next year I put irrigation in the back yard. As far as timing, I wanted trees in the backyard but landscapers around me all claim to be over-booked all summer and getting someone in during spring is next to impossible. My guy is the owner of a new company, I knew I would be taking risks going into the install.
As far as the trees, I am thinking about moving the weeping cherry tree to the top and moving the jap maple somewhere else. The location of the cherry tree is an aggressive uphill slop and I think itís not getting enough water no matter how much I water it.
I was not cracking on your guy in particular, except for the crooked tree comment , but rather agreeing with the fellow that said - it is a rare thing to find a proper install at a reasonale price.
But I am glad that you brought 1 more point to the fore. Sprinkling with irrigation is not going to save your bushes, especially on the hill. Soak the darn things at install then again the next day then once or twice a week thereafter depending on the heat. Simple and no more problem. Watch for air bubbles and have enough of a dish around the base for a nice puddle b4 you shut the hose off.
People who have shrubs and grass on the same sprinkling zones are NOT professional grade irrigation folk.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I will help any contractor on this forum but when homeowners come on to this forum acting like a contractor it does not help any of us. I told him to look to see if the buds were set and he didn'tknow what the meaning of that was. There are plenty of forums for him.

By the way someone did dump in my cheerios the othe day when I looked at my 401k and it was down over 350,000.
I hear ya.....
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wait till spring and post more pics of them, you will get answers. trees, shrubs, cutting grass, and fertilizing shouldn't be done once the temp. is over 85degrees but then again this isn't a perfect world.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Hay Obama gets in office none of us will have 401ks he wants the gov to take and regulate them all
Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lot0210 View Post
Hay Obama gets in office none of us will have 401ks he wants the gov to take and regulate them all
Most of us have made more money in the last 8 years then we ever had. Why change and take a chance?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
wow. that was rude.
2003 Haulmark 6x14 Enclosed trailer