Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Gradual change in career direction

Hello everyone. My plan is to keep my 9 to 5 while I take classes in horticulture/landscaping. I may try to pick up a mini-skid steer and a lot of attachments...take on some projects that my instructors give me leads on after a year or so.

I had this notion in my head that it was time for me to do something I really enjoy doing (had no choice as a kid...so made taking care of yards fun). Now, I'm reading about folks getting laid off...this made me be thankful for my job in this little cubby hole. But...I will continue to take my classes and stick to the long range plan I talked about above vs. trying to get a lot of equipment now. I'd have to quit my job to use the equip...and this economy has to be slowing landscape design, install, and maintenance down.

I hope to learn a lot from you folks...I'm glad I ran across this site.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck to you braylon, learn and then learn by doing. I applaud you for thinking outside the box and wanting to start your own work path as opposed to 'work for the man' like so many do (but dislike).
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-25-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Best of luck to you braylon, learn and then learn by doing. I applaud you for thinking outside the box and wanting to start your own work path as opposed to 'work for the man' like so many do (but dislike).
Thnaks DA...I figure it will be a long road to start-up. But, by the time the economy recovers...I'll be ready.

Take care!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the tortoise wins the race every time. Good plan in my mind.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hello everyone. My plan is to keep my 9 to 5 while I take classes in horticulture/landscaping. I may try to pick up a mini-skid steer and a lot of attachments...take on some projects that my instructors give me leads on after a year or so.

Don't get over your head with too much equipment. Think smaller, mini-skid, ect... Even if you buy a skid you can always rent the attachments. Once you find your nice in the market, you'll know exactly what attachments you'll need.

Good Luck

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice that was truly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Don't get over your head with too much equipment. Think smaller, mini-skid, ect... Even if you buy a skid you can always rent the attachments. Once you find your nice in the market, you'll know exactly what attachments you'll need.

Good Luck
Thanks for the great advice! I'm torn between a boxer 532DX and an ASV RC30 (maybe with turf tracks). I can only see doing something small...I don't want a CDL, anything my Titan can't pull, or anything that costs an arm and a leg new (I must have a warranty).

I'm thinking at the most...my initial investment will be (it hurts to say this) $25,000. But...the equipment will pay for itself and then more. We'll see what the next two to three years have in store...and I gotta wait on this economy anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check out e-bay. I've seen many of mini-skids, with attachments, and trailers, going for 10,000. Even if some repair is involved, you'll still come out ahead.

I've gone 5 years without a machine, and have only rented one. I've done about 12 instals at $5000 or more, numerous other installs, and another 6 patios. All by hand. Best year this year, I'm going to top 70,000 in sales (7 month season) this year and plan to double that next.

Machines can be over-rated, efficiency in anything you do is key, but I will say, I'm getting a mini next year. I need to start saving some tear on my body.

Initial investment in my business- A loan for a truck, and a hand-me-down motorcycle trailer.

Good Luck.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Last edited by White Gardens; 10-28-2008 at 07:07 PM.