Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Another New Guy

Hey guys,

Another new guy here. Unlike most here all I'm interested in is a small part time gig. Kind of like the high school kid from down the block. All I'm really interested in is like 5 - 10 yards a week. Say 5 - 7K a year, if that?

I've got a good full time job I enjoy and hopefully next May I'll be graduating with my Masters. Since I won't be in school anymore I need something to do on my days off & I like working outside so I thought this would be good. Plus the exercise will really help.

I'd appreciate any advice on equipment I need. I'm a little lost in that area. For something like what I want would a mower like what I have be OK or do I need a commerical grade mower? If so 22' or bigger? maybe a 32' or 36'?

As it stands I'll be using my Craftsman lawnmower and weed eater to start. I'm not looking to get into spraying or planting just straight mowing and weed-eat stuff. Like I said strictly part time.

Company name's going to be Instant Shade Tree. What's that got to do with Lawn care? Not much but my father started a company many years ago under that name and in a small way this is a tribute to him.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi how are you I am new here my self, but I started doing this as a high school student and still do it as a college student on the side. The only thing I can tell you is to keep your overhead as low as you can look for deals on equipment. the type of equipment will depend on the size of the lawns that your doing you can use a non comerical mower for a while but after you try a comerical one tho you won't want to go back, And your going to want the biggest one that you can get lol... For me the first comercial mower i got was a 48" Belt drive walk behind you can find them cheap usually and is a good enough size that you can still cut efficiently. They also still fit in the bed of a pick up so you don't need a trailer to haul it around. I would try to get the most out that weed eater if i were you also so you can save up some money to buy a newer commercial grade one. And a blower is also a key piece of equipment to have, a hand held blower will be ok to clean up after mowing but won't have the power if you want to do leaves. I have a backpack blower and I use it for everything.

I started off using my parents 21" craftsman and my dads old weed whacker and blower you need to crawl before you walk.

Last edited by Orser Bros. Landscaping; 10-30-2008 at 09:55 PM.