Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2008, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use bagged mulch all the time. It isn't that bagged mulch is bad, it's how the supplier/manufacturer processed and bagged it. LI Compost here on LI, also known as Hampton Estates mulch, does it right. The only other option here for safe bagged mulch is Scotts, and it's too expensive.

I've seen plenty of questionable bulk mulch here too.... it isn't because it's bagged, it's how it's processed. My properties only need 25 cubic foot of mulch at most.... and gates are an issue for bulk mulch. Bags are easier.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I've seen plenty of questionable bulk mulch here too.... it isn't because it's bagged, it's how it's processed. My properties only need 25 cubic foot of mulch at most.... and gates are an issue for bulk mulch. Bags are easier.

I agree, a couple of times I've gotten some bulk mulch that you could tell that hadn't been turned and may have started to mold. The only difference is that it seems to start going back into an aerobic (correct me if I'm wrong) break down when Oxygen is reintroduced.

If I knew for sure, such in your case Whitey, I would not hesitate to use bagged mulch. Around her though, I can't find it bagged locally, and handled correctly.

Man, I wish I could have tons of little jobs doing 25 cubic feet. Most of mine are around 12-20 yards.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your right Whitey, knowing the supplier and how they handle the mulch is the most important. I rarely use bags, but being aware of the problem and inspecting bags (and educating customers and employees) is important.