Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2008, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlane View Post
I just don't have enough accounts to keep it rolling.
If you don't mind me asking, how many accounts do you have? Have you advertised?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolawns View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how many accounts do you have? Have you advertised?
About 12 now. I had about 18 going for awhile, but afew cancelled due to some lowballer, afew just stop paying. I have some that are commercial that are good accounts, but for the most part, it just isn't cutting it, lol no pun intended. Now heading into the slow season, its gonna hurt. I have done some advertising on craig's lost in the past, but I always get cheapo people, that don't want to pay for what I charge..... which is a very reasonable rate. I'm about to give up.

Kevin Lane
Genesis Property Management
MY MOTTO: GET ER DONE or keep walkin!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
About 12 now. I had about 18 going for awhile, but afew cancelled due to some lowballer, afew just stop paying. I have some that are commercial that are good accounts, but for the most part, it just isn't cutting it, lol no pun intended. Now heading into the slow season, its gonna hurt. I have done some advertising on craig's lost in the past, but I always get cheapo people, that don't want to pay for what I charge..... which is a very reasonable rate. I'm about to give up.
Before you give up you might want to try door hangers. Just buy some door hanger bags & just print your advertising on a piece of paper & fold it in half & then stuff it into the bag & hang it on a doorknob. I've had really good luck with these. But, it may be too late in the year for this (being that we have started the slow season). If you do decide to give up, keep me in mind, I might be interested in a couple of your accounts (seeing as how we live in the same area). If I can do anything for ya let me know.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking of giving up, I'm making a website & over like the last year I have bookmarked a bunch of Landscapers/lawn maintenance sites. Well, I had bookmarked about 20-30 sites & last night I was trying to look at them to get different ideas. Ya, about 5-10 of them didn't work! So, I guess a lot of co.'s are giving up. Unemployment is at 6.5% right now, I just heard that on the news. I would say that in the last year about 2 million people have been laid off or otherwise lost their jobs. I was at Northeast Mowers today & I asked how things are going & Chris (the lady at the front desk) said "SLOW". We're probably looking at quite a few more businesses going out of business in the next year or two. I know that I don't have any extra money to spend on ANYTHING. I'm making more money (profit, after expenses) then I've ever made in my life, but I'm just barely scraping by. Hopefully I won't be one of the many companies that goes out of business in the next couple of years because I would have to work 6 jobs to make what I'm making now!?!?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Alright guys, so when & where do we want to meet up? First off, what city, or better yet, Pinellas County, Hernando?
What about wednesday? Since both you and I are Pinellas maybe just keep it here, but I'm down to drive where ever.

We could do like an Apple Bee's or Chilies they got many locations. Or like WingHouse.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Tell ya what bruthas, I may be getting out of the business. I just don't have enough accounts to keep it rolling. I'm in deep with bills, girlfriend is stressed.... residentials are not paying on time...or at all ..blah blah, getting tired of calling and chasing checks. Don't know what I am going to do unless something turns around.
I always tell my current customers that if they can get me their neighbor or a house down the street that I will knock a few dollars off their bill for the reference. Then I raise their price later on down the road. I just got 2 new yards in one month from doing this. Just don't take more than say $5 bucks off cuz it could hurt ya. Hang in there bud, thats basically what I'm doing now because I'm nowhere near the volume of customers that I had projected for the end of this year.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Tell ya what bruthas, I may be getting out of the business. I just don't have enough accounts to keep it rolling. I'm in deep with bills, girlfriend is stressed.... residentials are not paying on time...or at all ..blah blah, getting tired of calling and chasing checks. Don't know what I am going to do unless something turns around.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted. Like South said, hang in there. We understand you've gotta do what you've gotta do though.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
What about wednesday? Since both you and I are Pinellas maybe just keep it here, but I'm down to drive where ever.

We could do like an Apple Bee's or Chilies they got many locations. Or like WingHouse.
I don't know why but I was thinking you were in Hernando, but I remember a conversation that we had before & you told me what area you were in. I dunno? I'm glad it's Friday! Wednesday sounds good. I'll go where the food is good....... oh, & where it's cheap! I'm by 66th Street & 38th Ave. N.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about Blade & armor?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
What about Blade & armor?
Yeah you guys should try and come that would be great!