Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jersey Guys

Just figured I would see how many of us are on here. I've been starting to see a lot more of us. Lawnsite is a pretty cool concept in general, talking to lawn guys across the country and even the world, but I think it's even cooler talking to lcos that are only a few miles away and didn't even know it. Let's try to keep our own little sub-forum going that we we can always reach out to our local lco's.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-09-2008, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill, your right. This is a great networking opportunity. Other networking opportunities,include, the many green industry associations and their trade shows representing the state, as well as education sessions offered by manufacturers, dealers and the short course program at Rutgers. It's amazing just how many green industry companies are in this state and how few know each other.

Kirk
Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
Bill, your right. This is a great networking opportunity. Other networking opportunities,include, the many green industry associations and their trade shows representing the state, as well as education sessions offered by manufacturers, dealers and the short course program at Rutgers. It's amazing just how many green industry companies are in this state and how few know each other.

Kirk
Exactly, everyone try to get in on this. Maybe say which area of Jersey your from and mention some of the trade shows, associations and such that the state provides and that we can take advantage of. I'm in Manchester (Ocean County) and the only Jersey trade show that I know of is the Pants convention in Atlantic City, which I believe is more for landscaping than lawn maintenance.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothin' guys?
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill, PANTS will no longer be in Atlantic City, as they have moved it back to Valley Forge. MAHTS, the EP Henry paver show was also in Atlantic City, but has been cancelled due to trying a roving presentation, similar to the Techo-Bloc showcases.

MANTS, is held in Baltimore in January and is a worthwhile show for information about plants and supplies. Both of the major organizations representing landscapers in NJ do shows involving training and exhibit halls.

The NJLCA show will be February 25 at the Meadowlands Exhibition center in Secaucus and the NJNLA show will be January 14 & 15 at the garden State Exhibition Center in Somerset. Both have some classes and a large exhibition space with vendors including mower sales, equipment dealers, nurseries, hardscape manufacturers and suppliers as well as business services. Either or both shows are worth attending and the prices are usually quite reasonable.

Kirk
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
Bill, PANTS will no longer be in Atlantic City, as they have moved it back to Valley Forge. MAHTS, the EP Henry paver show was also in Atlantic City, but has been cancelled due to trying a roving presentation, similar to the Techo-Bloc showcases.

MANTS, is held in Baltimore in January and is a worthwhile show for information about plants and supplies. Both of the major organizations representing landscapers in NJ do shows involving training and exhibit halls.

The NJLCA show will be February 25 at the Meadowlands Exhibition center in Secaucus and the NJNLA show will be January 14 & 15 at the garden State Exhibition Center in Somerset. Both have some classes and a large exhibition space with vendors including mower sales, equipment dealers, nurseries, hardscape manufacturers and suppliers as well as business services. Either or both shows are worth attending and the prices are usually quite reasonable.

Kirk

Kirk-- Thanks for the info, man. I'll definitely have to check out at least one of those this winter if not both. I appreciate the heads up.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow! I can't belive the MAHTS show is not going to be in the format it was last year. I wonder how they will do all the hands on workshops if they do them at all.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I have been told, there won't be any type of workshops. They will be meet and greet seminars with information about the company, new products and colors and new programs as well as an overview of the existing products.

Looks like quality education and information will be harder to come by, but that's not EP Henry's responsibility. All the manufacturers of pavers and walls along with the ancillary manufacturers must see a need for more and better education in the hardscape field. Having a national show is great, but regional shows will bring in more attendees and introduce contractors to the products and services available in their own areas.

Kirk
Old 12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess we'll have to rely on the local suppliers to offer workshops and training. I mean I've been going to CCM for landscaping but there's not very much in the way of real hands on learning.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CCM has some great programs and you should look into what is offered at Rutgers in the professional landscape programs. Unfortunately the Rutgers hardscape program is geared towards introduction rather than tips, techniques and trends.
http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/programs/landscape.html

There are consultants that come out to your job with you from start to finish, and be part of the design process. Many manufacturer reps can also be knowledgeable and helpful on projects.

Kirk