Register free!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I think a mimosa is a bit too dirty for a rock bed install. They seed like crazy, and they drop 3 times a year. I have one on my own property... they spring up like weeds.... this one is in back of the house, and I get seedlings in the front!

For SOME reason...we just don't have the same issues with mimosas in S. Ohio, Whitey!

Maybe it's because of the (generally) colder winters of the Midwest, and/or the somewhat shorter growing season?
I don't know!

I just know that in addition to our OWN back yard, I have at least half a dozen clients around here with fully mature mimosas, with seemingly next to no problem with seeing any mimosa seedlings emerge in adjacent areas of their landscape.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Not surprised at all...especially if the tree was in full fruit.
Homeowners are suckers for that.

Be sure to teach the homeowner how to prune it properly as to help reduce the likelyhood of future powdery mildew problems; as this can become a serious problem sometimes with Red Jewells, particularly in somewhat poorly ventilated "boxed-in" conditions like it looks like you have in your photo.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get the proper pruning techniques for this specific variety. I told her I'll come back and do it next season.

We generally have a fair amount of wind movement in this smaller town, and a good breeze gets in that back yard. but I agree, there will be some humid, hot, still nights in the summer and I"ll have to watch out for mildew.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If she's sold on a crabapple, look at the 'Molten Lava' variety. I prefer the form over the 'Red Jewel' around a patio. Both hold their berries through winter, so birds will get them before they hit the ground. It is more disease resistant also, the leaves keep a nice green till the fall.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I was thinking 'Red Jade', a horizontal branching tree. I still think if you prune the Molten lava up it will be nicer, but for an upright try 'Sugartyme' very disease resistant. I still like the 'Autumn Brilliance' too, what about a Red Buckeye, or 'Pagoda Dogwood'. I know your customer picked one out already, I've just seen that variety drop it's leaves by midsummer, and rarely does it not get some sort of leaf problem.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, project has been done for a week now.

I wanted to get some pics of the area, but everything has been frosted good so it doesn't look the greatest. I was going to wait till next season to do pics there and on two other properties I installed earlier this season.

Thanks for the post jaybird, I like how this thread has turned into a great discussion on trees for small areas.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.