Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2002, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

cleaning out horse stalls

I might have a chance to clean out three horse stalls on a property with 7 acres. right now I mow the lawn, but the people are selling it and the new people might rent out the stalls.

What is involved in cleaning out stalls, I read people saying "we use our bobcat to clean out the stalls" but I don't know how. Where do you put the crap. Also do you use equipment to bring in the bales of hay.

I was thinking of either getting a dingo and a garden tractor with a cart. Or a kubota compact tractor. Do you think for 3 stallls I could charge enough to make the mortgage payment on either piece of equipment.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it all depends on the size of the stalls, on many they are to small to get equip in there, what we did was shovel it into the pasture then come with the loader or garden tractor and cart and take it to the pile. now that leads to what u do with it, u make a compost pile and let it decompose and use it as compost, or u can spread it, or u can pay for people to take it away in large quantities, like soil companies or whoever. give us some more info and we can give u some better answers.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah I was just thinking of that after I posted that there might not be room to fit a compact tractor in the stalls. But I know there would be room for the dingo. There defintely is room on the property for a compost heap, I just don't know if the people would want a stinking compost heap on their property.

With the dingo, I'd have to buy a garden tractor (JD 318 probably) with a cart. The dingo just moves to slow to carry anything anywhere. Also the dingo can't mow, and the JD sure could.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

If your client has a pasture field where you can spread the horse manure it makes good fertilizer. Have a look at www.millcreekmfg.com they sell mini manure spreaders you can pull behind a lawn mower.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would forget about the dingo, just not worth the money for ur situation i think. pile wont stink all that much, if anything just the urine.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i'm getting to realize that. the opening on the stall is only 43 inches. so only a dingo could get in there and manuever around. but i can't do as much around the yard with a dingo as with a compact. Now i'd be looking at getting a garden tractor for mowing and maybe manuaer spreading.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a small garden tractor (12-14 hp) is only what about 32'' wide? add a mower and u got 36''? why not pull up to the stall, and shovel the stuff into the wagon? never heard of paying a large amount of money just to move manure from point A to B when its a small distance, thats what ur legs or a wheel barrel is for
Old 04-25-2002, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Garden tractors are worthless. You have to do all the work. Hey, it might be good exercise, but it would take your forever to shovel it. Yorkpaddy, look into buying a used Bobcat 453. They're only 36 inches wide and like 5 feet tall and will turn on a dime. Youd could pick one up used for like 6 or 7 grand for an older one. They're 15 thousand new so I would just suggest getting a used one. They have a rated operating capacity of 700 lbs. so you could put small square bales of hay in the bucket and just haul them in there. Like a dingo and you don't have to walk and you can get about 25 attachments for it. A usefull small machine that will do quite a bit. Spread mulch, small landscape jobs, heck, I've looked into buying one but I don't have the $$$ or real need for one but they look like great little machines. Check 'em out!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 04-25-2002, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

i'm not even sure if I will do anything there. I was just trynig to get some input to see if the work would justify a piece of equipment. But from talking to people who own horses, it seems that i'd have to clean them out every day. Thats a problem because its a half hour drive from school to this property and I don't feel like making that every day or finding an employee to do it for me.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

How big are the horse stalls? I clean about 12 stalls. By myself it would take aprox. 4 hours to clean and put bedding down and spread the spreader once. All I used was a shovel and a pitchfork. And put the manure into 23 gallon buckets and then dumped them in a spreader. We use wood chips for bedding. If you want to do it the cheap way use a wheelbarrow and stockpile it. It won’t stink one bit. It also makes great fertilizer. For three stalls I definetaly wouldn’t go out and buy a piece of equiptment. If you want to know some costs of bedding and other things let me know.