Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2000, 08:07 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Cornus Mas<br>Cornelian Cherry<br>10'-15' tall shrub developing into a small tree<br>Flowers early spring before leaf out<br>Masses of yellow flowers.<p>Great to use for the color, spring move only<br>Try using in place of Red Bud<p><p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-23-2000, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple that come to mind are:<br>Itea virginica<br>Itea<br>'Henry's Garnet' and 'Little Henry'<br> grows 4-6'tall grows 1.5 - 2' tall<br>Both offer a long three seasons of color and are fairly site tolerant. The burgundy fall leaves stay until at least December here in our Zone 7 locale.<p>A low,ground cover type that isn't used much here but is rather attractive is :<br>Arctostphylos uva-ursi<br>Bearberry<br>Likes sun and spreads fairly quickly.<p>New varieties that I'm looking forward to using include:<br>Ilex x meserveae 'Honey Maid'<br>A variegated &quot;Blue Holly&quot; hardy to zone 5<br>Also the 'Red Hollies' <br>I'll post some more choices soon.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some of the PA Horticultural Society Gold Medal winners this year. These are not yet overused.<br>Acer buergerianum<br>Trident Maple<br>Small tree with great fall color.<p>Aronia arbutifolia<br>Chokeberry<br>This a good colonizer to use along the woodline for naturalizing. Will adapt to dry or wet soil and is happy in poor soil. Nice red berries.<p>Syrica meyeri 'Paliban'<br>'Paliban' Lilac<br>This lilac is mildew-free, fragrant and compact. Blooms are deep violet. Enough said!<p>Weigela florida<br>'Alexandria Wine and Roses' Weigela<br>Here's an old fashioned bloomer with burgundy-purple leaves and rosy flowers. It is rather small--four to five feet tall.<p>Hope this gives you some new ideas to add to your ornamental arsenal.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 03-01-2000, 09:53 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Aesculus Parviflora<br>Bottlebrush Buckeye<br>8'-15' tall<br>With red stemmed, white flowers, during July to August.<br>Foliage has great Autumn color<br>Slow growing<br>up to zone 4<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-25-2000, 09:47 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Well wedon't seem to be getting may responces on this anyone like to make anymore suggestions. Just tring to get away from the every day stuff that we all plant too much of. come on guys lets see some more plants.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-26-2000, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul - I've elected to add a few additions to our nursery in order to spice it up a little bit. I have also stocked up on some useful, but under used plants. We have a professor from the University of CT extension services come down to speak about plants for a sustainable landscape. He provides a wealth of information besides what the books do (hopefully this will help sales too!). <p>Acer Griseum - Paper Bark Maple - exfoliating Bark provides good interest.<p>Red Twig Dogwood - Variegated form provides a nice back drop to plantings.<p>My daughter just arrived from tub time. MOre later.<p><p><p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 03-28-2000, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Corylus avellana 'Contorta'<br>Harry Lauder's Walkingsick<p>I love this plant, especially as they get older. I get sick of using laceleaf maples all the time, so I sub these instead. A lot of people think there the ugliest thing, but so be it. I like it, and its a nice change from the everyday.