Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2000, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy that worked for me that did the landscape design part time. We don't do a large amount of landscape work mostly maintenance and lawn installations. I or anyone else that works for me doesn't do design. Is it really hard to do if i bought the software. Should I learn how to do it, sub it out, or just give it away. My crews are familiar with the installation end just no one knows how to do the design. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

ITS A MATTER OF ABOUT 4 THINGS HOW BIG THE PLANTS GET, COLORS, HEIGHT, AND WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS. AFTER THAT IF THE PLANTS ARE GROWABLE IN YOUR AREA YOUR SET. I USE TOO HAVE MY SISTER DESIGN FOR ME TILL SEE TOOK A SALES REP JOB FOR A LANDSCAPE SUPPLY COMPANY. AFTER YOU SEE HOW TO DO IT ITS A MATTER OF JUST DOING IT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. NEVER SAY YOU DONT KNOW TO A CUSTOMER SAY I LL DO SOME RESEARCH AND GET BACK WITH YOU ON THAT . KEY THING NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT. SEE YA JARRETT
Old 03-26-2000, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Ihad the same thing happen, but we do alot of install work. I 've had to learn to do design,because i will not have to rely on some else.it really is a skill. Take classes, home study course,seminars,visit gardens and read every mag and book you can get. Stamp kits and the computer halp but you still need to know all the design principles and plants to choose. If you learn it you will never have to rely on others. expect to make mistake just keep practicing and moving forward. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2000, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Only you know if you have the time/energy to put in the effort to learn how to do landscape design. Remember that it puts another time demand on your plate and the customer can't buy until you present a design and install contract. Frankly, there are more than just four things to doing it. And software is just a tool. It will represent how you design something but it won't improve the quality of the design. That is up to you. If you decide to wait a bit before working up your own designs, you may be able to find a designer who will work with you on a free-lance/commission basis. Designers tend to be a bit free-spritited so understand that you may have to give the person some mental/time space to have a satisfactory relationship. It can work and may be a way to deal with this immediate, busy, spring season. This means that the designer would be a Form 1099 person, tax-wise. Meanwhile, you can work on your own skills and probably learn from the designer.<br><p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 03-27-2000, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

you can make good money with design services. I get a $50 consult fee just to come out and meet with a client for lanscape design. Plus the design fee between $200 and 1,000. Will people pay? thats not the problem the problem is getting to all the consults and drawing, i only have time for about 20 consult per weel in the spring. I come from mowing and its nice getting paid for your ideas. our close rate of the consults is 90%, it use to be 30% before we charged. Good luck