Register free!

Old 05-18-2002, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

9 Hole Golf Course

So I'm a do it yourselfer but I need advice.
I want to irrigate the greens only. Around 22000 sq feet.
I checked out Jess Stryker's tutorial but would like someone to give me more info. If I have 180 head and 2" main with 1" laterals what about the valves? What would you recommend short of professional design which I can not afford. This sounds like the brain surgery story doesn't it? Maybe one of you would be willing to help me design this thing? Any help would be appreciated.

The Dumb Blonde
Old 05-18-2002, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know anything about irrigating golf courses. And I know this question will sound arrogant. But how can you afford a 9 hole golf course but not afford to have it irrigated properly by a contractor?
Old 05-18-2002, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

9 Hole Question

Good question - how can I afford a 9 hole course but can't afford to hire professional irrigation. In order to afford building the course I have to try to cut evry corner I can and am looking for people to help me. You have been there I'm sure - where you have a dream and want to accomplish something and build something of yourself. I'm trying to do just that and am looking for help - it's the American dream - try and you can if your neighbors will help.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, you are inviting people to play when it's finished?
*heh-heh* Party's at rbeca's place!!
Old 05-19-2002, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

rbeca,i run a 9 hole course.We put irrigation around the greens about 10 yrs ago,before that they were all watered by hoses every day.We didnt go with a top of line system,but it works.We use Hunter,Toro,and rain birds,I have small system with only 97 heads,and 35 1" fairway sprinklers.I have 2 separate systems,and 10hp pumps.one feeds 4 holes,the other 5.I already had a 3" mains,and 2" feeds to work with,i just had to put the poly pipe around the greens ,install my sprinkers,and cover it all up.I can tell you this,there is a lot of friction loss at our course,the #2 green is 1700 ft from the pump,make sure you have compnsated for this,and have it all figured into your GPM needs before you lay pipe that it to small.Pm me if you need help.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet that a good distributor or manufacturer would design for free if they got the order for the materials. Happens around here all the time with parks, athletic fields and courses.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not quite sure how to run irrigation to greens but I know some of the greens at the golf courses around here can run upwards of 40,000 dollars a piece. I sure wouldn't want to skimp on the irrigation at those prices.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trimmer,your right,you dont want to skimp,but on the other hand we've found that some cheaper heads have actually proven to be much more reliable than those costing 3x as much,go figure.In addition,no matter how good you design your system,in a drought ,you will be hand watering dry spots with hoses,I dont know of one course that doesnt hand water dry spots in severe heat/drought.