Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-12-2008, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Here...New Business

Hey Guys My Name is Jim Davis I'm from Central NJ and just started my landscape and hardscape business this year. I started mowing when i was 9 years old mowing my neighbors yards. I wound up getting 25 accounts and hiring my friends to help me do them. We would bungy cord wagons to the back of mountain bikes and pull the push mower with them to the jobs around the area. Looking back at it, it was rather funny, although at the time I loved it.
To make a long story short I saved up 12k doing this along with helping out an asphalt paving company in the summer and on the weekends(they did my driveway and i begged them to help out. started washing there trucks then eventually on jobs etc.) Then I got to high school and blew all my money on a 500 HP Lancer Evolution and then tore my ACL and MCL playing high school football and had to sell it for a HUGE loss.

Now I am 20 years old and still working for the asphalt paving company 2 days a week. I also started my landscaping and hardscaping business back up this year and did it along side my other job.

As far as school goes, I am in the last semester of my Associates in Horticulture and Landscape Design and I already have my Associates in Business Management. I am an ICPI Certified Brick Paver Installer and am going to Rutgers this winter to take classes to get my Irrigation License. I am also taking water feature, landscape lighting, and outdoor kitchen classes.

My first year I did well, doing about 6 landscape design jobs, 2 retaining walls, 6 paver walkways, 8 weekly lawns, tons of other smaller stuff. biggest job being $7,600. Me and my boss at the paving company went partners doing brick paver driveways and he fowards me all walkways and patio calls. I am also a salesman for them. to make some extra cash.

I have a 10 ton trailer my friends dad sold me that he doesnt use anymore. (still in great shape.) I also bought a 2004 F-350 7.3L Turbo Diesel about a year ago that I use as my everything truck. I also bought little things this year from backpack blowers to chain saws, all the way up to a paver saw(wet table saw) $2,000. I use my bosses Case skid steer when needed.

I plan on buying an older mason dump this winter and hitting things full speed next year. I have 2 paver patio jobs sold for next april, along with one of my neighbors total overhauls (vinyl fence, irrigation system, paver walk, belgian blocks, total landscape redesign, sod) which gives me a few weeks of work to start.

Thank you for reading my long but boring life story....lol hope to talk with you guys soon.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with everything and welcome to the site. You can learn a ton on this site as well as it being a great way to network.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you. Yea I like this site, a lot of knowledgeable people on here. Look forward to talking to all of you.