Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JR. Ashlands cost any where from $14000 to $15000. So making a modification, that might or might not work IS going to be a costly.

J.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would NEVER buy a ashland. thats half the price of a good low hour dozer.

i figure i could have one built for arou 5-7k. is it worth it probly not. but maybe.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
JR. Ashlands cost any where from $14000 to $15000. So making a modification, that might or might not work IS going to be a costly.

J.
I had no clue they cost that much, seems really pricey, just forget I ever said anything about modifying one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen some diecient Komatsu D21s (The size I would get for my needs) on ebay and machinery trader selling anywhere from 12000 to 22000.

I saw a sweet one with cab, heat, air, and joystick steering go for $20000 a few weeks ago.

I would have snatched it up, if i wasn't diverting all funds to snow removal. lol

But something nice about an ashland. WAY LESS MAINTANCE over a dover. Everything is right there. easy to get at. No tracks to go bad, no motor, no tranny, etc. And when you aren't using it, drop it and you don't feel quite as bad about seeing it sit.

I have a friend thats got a 9 yard pull type ashland for his farm. Its built tough, and works everytime they hook it up.

j.

Last edited by J. Peterson Grading; 11-16-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
Have you seen my mini rock box? It was a simple idea, Simple in theory. Then I had it built and $3500 later I have a awesome timesaver that sits on a shelf in my cold storage shop.

Point is. Your idea is a good one. But the size and scope of the fabrication is going to suprise you.

If you are using the aux Hyd, to adjust the cutting edge, why not just do it the same as the ashland?

The ashland isn't a new Idea at all, just a new application. I have seen many compact Ag type scraper. (Soil mover, Scoop All/carry All, Orthman to name a few) that make the excact same unit, but you pull it. You can locate them at just about any farm impliment dealership or ag salvage yard.

A good Fab shop could just modify it to your applications, and I bet it would be less expensive and work better.

J.
Exactly, I had a rock bucket built that was the same way. 'I can build it for half'...then "it takes alot of steel, gonna need more'...then 'it took way longer, sorry'. I ended up with more than I would have just bought one and it wasn't as nice.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't we just suckers? lol
Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can see a dumping hopper being converted into a scraper style, drop the bottom out, weld a hinge on the back and use 2 cylinders to raise and lower it with a cutting edge on the front, then you would also need an end gate to open simultaneously while the bottom lowers down.
The depth adjustments would be using the auxiliaries. When it gets full, pull the bottom up and dump.
The only problem is the cylinders need to be at least 4" in diameter to handle lifting the bottom up while loading.
It can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember seeing an Ashland scraper hooked up to the rear 2" receiver of a ASV 4810 about 6-7 years ago. I think it was a 3 yarder. You would have to be able to move alot of dirt to justify the cost.

Tags
dumping , hopper