Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just won a big one...

God, fate, whatever you want to call it is so funny... might remember the big school I was bidding on and lost cause it was too big for me... well, I landed something even better. Just got word yesterday that I won the bid for a local retirement community... about 40 acres total, but only about 1/2 that is grass. About 70 duplexes and 2 larger facilities... best part it's about 5 minutes from my house. I'm figuring about 25-30 hours time, and won the bid at $30k/yr. This along with my other accounts and some realistic growth will put me well over what I'm making at my current PITA job, and be able to provide so much better for my wife and kids, and hopefully have more time in the cold months to spend with them. Photo of the property is attached. How do you think I made out?
Attached Images

2008 Exmark 31hp briggs 60" triton w/QDS Ultra Vac
2012 Deere 1026R/60" 7-iron
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
33 years old - Since 2007 - Solo - FULL TIME
Old 11-18-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats huge, how many employees do you have? thats alot if your solo.
Conrats on the big one tho, I know that had to make you feel really good and secure for next year. Good luck with it.
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

congrats

good luck with your venture!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats!!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats. I'm curious as to what the other bids where. Did you get to see the other bids? That really seems low to me. There is a bunch of trimming and mowing there. I would think it would have been at least double that.

I don't know, would have to see it in person. Good Luck.

Dave...
Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

congrats man. are you just mowing it or do you have to weedeat edge and blow as well? ya that sould provide you with high income for next year by itself. how big is your mower?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

25-30 hours solo?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mow, Trim, Edge, Blow... by myself for the most part, 60" ZTR. The trimming isn't really as much as it looks, as most of the pavement is asphalt... with my experiences it really only seems to need touched up every couple weeks. Most of the trees have 2' mulch beds around them. They are in the process of building some more duplexes in the empty area at the top of the pic, so there is a large area that will be under construction and will not need any attention for a while. Part of the large area at the bottom left is actually sweet corn also. They have a full time maintenance staff for the odd jobs, just hire out the mowing. Forgot to mention I picked up the hedge trimming on this also for some extra $$.

I actually did get to see the other bids, and they were both around $45k. Guy that had it last raised his rate by $12k this year for some reason. he was at 55 hours a week, but only charging $27 per hour... my hourly rate is almost double that, but time is almost half also... he was using employees... The story I got from the center made it sound like he didn't want the job anymore... not sure why, hopefully I won't find out.

Part of my thinking is that this should be a fairly nice account... no kids, no toys to deal with, no dog poo... a lot of headaches that won't be there...
2008 Exmark 31hp briggs 60" triton w/QDS Ultra Vac
2012 Deere 1026R/60" 7-iron
Honda HRX 21"
Stihl handhelds
Billy Goat Truck loader
33 years old - Since 2007 - Solo - FULL TIME
Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
Mow, Trim, Edge, Blow... by myself for the most part, 60" ZTR. The trimming isn't really as much as it looks, as most of the pavement is asphalt... with my experiences it really only seems to need touched up every couple weeks. Most of the trees have 2' mulch beds around them. They are in the process of building some more duplexes in the empty area at the top of the pic, so there is a large area that will be under construction and will not need any attention for a while. Part of the large area at the bottom left is actually sweet corn also. They have a full time maintenance staff for the odd jobs, just hire out the mowing. Forgot to mention I picked up the hedge trimming on this also for some extra $$.

I actually did get to see the other bids, and they were both around $45k. Guy that had it last raised his rate by $12k this year for some reason. he was at 55 hours a week, but only charging $27 per hour... my hourly rate is almost double that, but time is almost half also... he was using employees... The story I got from the center made it sound like he didn't want the job anymore... not sure why, hopefully I won't find out.

Part of my thinking is that this should be a fairly nice account... no kids, no toys to deal with, no dog poo... a lot of headaches that won't be there...

probably raised it that much cause he was losings his tail end.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh. well, hope all goes for you man. good luck and God Bless You.