Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2000, 02:16 PM
Lawnsite Addict

There are about 100 different fabrics out there but using the right one is all most an art.<p>Make sure you use the right one for the job. With woven low asperation to spun filter fabric to non woven impenetrable. it's getting harder to pick the right one for the job. <p> Ok now what do you use for what and why?<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-28-2000, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a spun-bound most of the time. Residential projects are the main application, and my use is predicated by availability and cost. I use the woven sometimes, but it's usually if I'm out of the other and not near a supplier selling the spun-bound stuff.<p>An interesting note - the paper industry is huge here, and in the manufacturing process (I don't know if it's needed to make the paper, or what the paper is wrapped in prior to being converted into packaging, etc), there is an unusable byproduct that is a very tightly woven steel mesh. It isn't anywhere near as flexible as the usual weed barriers, but there are companies, and many do-it-yourselfers who use this stuff (mainly because it's free from the paper mills).<p>I've never tried it and don't intend to (it destroys the knives used to cut it, and you're left with very sharp edges, screaming for lawsuits should junior do a faceplant onto a slightly exposed edge), but it's used more than you'd think.
Old 02-28-2000, 05:26 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Stonehedge do you use the spun fabric under your brick work? <p>----------<br>paul<p>
Old 02-29-2000, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you'd know me better than that . For less than stable sites (for brick) I use Versa-Lok fabric, which is a woven geotextile. I use it a lot under steps going up into a patio door - will sometimes have up to three separate layers of fabric (with stone between) to lend stability to that area. Those soils next to a new construction can be fairly uncompacted.
Old 02-29-2000, 10:50 AM
Lawnsite Addict

There are some new spun fabrics that are cheaper, that will work under brick pavers!<br>Some are heavier with less stretch. They come in wider widths up to 13'.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-29-2000, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the spun fabric for french drain trenches. We completely enclose the crushed stone or gravel and perf. drain line with it. For paver work, we use the woven geo-textile with an apparent opening size of No. 30-50 Sieve.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>
Old 03-03-2000, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a quick observation. I used a cheaper fabric made by typar on a small bed once and then did a vinyl siding job the next week. When we did the siding, I notice something interesting. The house wrap that we bought for underneath the siding was also made by typar and dam if I'm wrong, but looked exactly the same except for the fact it had &quot;typar typed all over it&quot;. The thing is though, when i looked at the price, the house wrap was about half the price of the so called &quot;landscape fabric&quot;. Just a interesting observation I figured I mention.
Old 03-03-2000, 07:25 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Ok just some quick notes,<br>The new non woven fabric that I've gotten spec sheets on is made by AMACO it shows a lower strech factor, higher tear ratio and lower cost per sy. yd. permabelity is about (with in 2%) the same as woven. I'm going to try some out on the next job starting next week. will let you know if it all that is made out to be.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-04-2000, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I hope you guys aren't using these fabrics in and around your plantings, the latest recommendations from most of your horticulture universities is to NOT USE THEM. A 3-4&quot; layer of mulch with no fabric underneath is the way they say. We use a geotextile fabric with all of our paver installations, it is put down between the existing soil and the new base material. It is a road grade material and is woven rather than spun has higher ratings. The typar material that has been spoken about is more of a filter fabric than a support fabric. It should be used with foundation drains and french drains to help stone from filling with silt. This is one the ares that everybody has a different opinion, you need to research the material that you intend to use and make your decission based on this and past experiences. Matt
Old 03-04-2000, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey matt.<br>When is was in school, about 6 years ago I had a professor who told us that Black plastic should be used instead of fabric. I never liked plastic because how the hell does water pass through. Then again, all fabrics eventually get weeds groing through them eventually. I myself have always believed what you said, and always have thought fabric and plastics are both bad. <p>One thing though, is that in a area that I know is finished I still use a fabric of some sort sometimes. For instance, I just did a island planting around a sign with a lot of ornamental grasses and a few deciduous shrubs. For the most part, this area will be left alone for many years and I don't want to have to be weeding it alot. Therefore i used the fabric to help with weeds, and also believe it helps to restrict the ornamental grass from getting out of hand.<p>Now, in other applications, i never use fabric, especially on residential sites. Fabric makes any changes just to much of a pain in the !##. Residential sites seem to always be changing and the fabric ends up needing to be pulled out eventually anyways. <br>My favorite thing is doing a renovation of a design by someone else and then finding fabric in the bed. The stuff is nothing but a pain. I always charge extra if there is existing fabric on a renovation site, especially if bed irrigation is being installed.<p>