Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2002, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

what copy for flyers?

I am trying to expand customer base in specfic areas. I am having troble coming up with copy for a flyer to be handed out around my existing customers. I have gotten some advise from other guys in the area and have had mixed results. Some say to stress referrals, while others say go with price to get the call. I don't want to be the guy lowering the prices in the area. That is not good for anyone, but I need a shot of new customers. Thanks for any assistance.

Gotta Go--Gotta Mow
Old 05-12-2002, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a thought....

Most of my new business these last few years has been referrals.
I give them a "service credit" on the invoice. This lets them know I appreciate the kind words that have brought me new business.
Send a note along with your invoice to your existing customers. Let them know you are looking for new accounts and if they know someone that is looking for a good lawn service,and you are recommended,you'll compensate them.
I give my customers the the credit of one service,on an invoice,for any referrals. If I get the new business.
It has worked pretty good through out the years.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Offer 1 free cut for each customer that they refer (who signs up). Its worth it in the long run. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input but I have pretty much exhausted customer referals. Many of the referals would take me out of the area where I want to focus on. I do work for many of the neighbors but need to get to people that live in the area but don't know my customers. I just don't know how to approach these potential customers.

Gotta Go--Gotta Mow
Old 05-17-2002, 01:21 PM
Sponsor

Flyers

Flyers are very inexpensive as you already know. If you are trying to obtain additional market share in a specific area consider this.

Flyers are cheap to use but must be passed out in numbers to work. A 1% return is good on average. So if you do flyers, pass enough out to generate the calls necessary to get you the number of accounts you are looking for. Now is a good time to be doing this. Many people that started off with one company may be ready for a change after seeing what they are receiving from the current service. We always use this time of the year to pick up the "unsatisfied" customers available. Seems to work well.

Also, be sure to hit an area more than one time. At least twice to the same area about 7-10 days apart. You will find this helpful if you decide to try it.

Last but not least, have a tracking system in place. Ask how they heard about you. Not only when you are passing out flyers, but anytime. More important to know why they are calling than maybe the actual sell!

Good luck!
Wayne
www.profitsareus.com
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 05-24-2002, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try the post office, Direct mailing to the neigborhoods you want to work in. Cost is a little more but it frees up more time for you.

Everyone stickes a flyer in the paper box. Be a little different have it delivered straight inside the house. Better chance they look at it.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I know i am new here but something I am going to try is ! look at the yellow page sites some have a Whose the neibor On it . I get all the surroung neibors & send them a post card chearer than regular mail.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should try to accuaint yourself with other LCO's in the area. Stop & talk with them for a minute or 2 when you can. Once you get to know them, you'll be surprised that they will be willing to give away a few accounts that are out of the way or PITA's(sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do). I've traded work with a few in my area.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I will E-Mail u a copy of my Brochure hope it helps
Old 05-27-2002, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Addict

Why lower your prices? The neighbors will see that the prices of Mrs. Jones' is really low and ask others why their prices are high. I would stick with a good referal program!!!!