Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Part time in Minnesota

Hi to all. I have been operating a part time lawn care and snow plowing business for about 10 years. I dont really care for the snow plowing side of it but it is a necessary evil for me. I do not advertise at all except for magnet signs on my truck in the spring and fall so people can call me for spring and fall services.

I do my weekly cutting accounts after work which is only 6-10 weekly accounts per year most of them being residential and then some clean-ups and other odds and ends jobs. I keep busy this way.

I have been using your run of the mill lawn tractors up until now as I have purchased a 2008 Toro 52" Z400. My main trailer is a 6' x 12' enclosed because it pulls easy and it secures all my stuff while I'm at my full time job because I pull it to work with me so I can just go cutting right away without going home.

I changed my hours at work from 5 x 8 hours to 4 X 10 hours so that gives me Friday off so I would like to pick up 2 or 3 small commercial accounts for next summer ( I am in the twin cities south of the river. ) if anybody wants to give up some work.

Well that is me in a nut shell.

2004 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 6.0
2007 6' x 12' Atlas enclosed trailer
1997 6.5' x 16' tandem axel utility trailer
2008 Toro 52" Z400
1998 Snapper 42" tractor
Echo trimmers and blowers
Many misc. hand tools
8.5' Hiniker snow plow
Old 12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck to you. My situation is very similar to yours (I am located in southern MN), but you have been in business for a bit longer. 3rd year in biz next season. This season, had 10-12 weekly mowing accounts with 2 of them being small commercial. Would like to double the weeklies for next season.

You say that the snow plowing is a 'necessary' evil for you. I know where the mentality comes from, nearly everyone who asks about my green business also states "Oh, you must plow snow too" to which I reply NO I have absolutely no interest in doing that, beating up a truck and waiting for the snow to fall unpredictably. So, if you don't like it, maybe you can find an alternative to fill your winter hours? I also own a direct sales health and wellness business that I put on the front burner in the winter and provides some income during those months - plus it is fun and exciting to help folks lose weight and gain energy. Maybe you can find your niche
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13