Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
I had one kid work for me from my school at the begining of the summer cause he really wanted to. He started off trimming and was slow but wasn't bad at it. on the 4th lawn he asked if he could use my 21inch he said he knew how. I weedwacked 2 yards and caut the little field with my 36" before he even finshed the front yard of the one house!! This front yard was like 20ft by 15ft! he could not even turn the mower it was harlirous he asked to go home after that because he was tired.
haha that kinda sounds like one of my moms friends sons that i let help me one day. he came with and i knew he wasnt gonna be much help but i thot i give the kid some experience because i only had one yard left. well anyway the account he was helping me on was one of the best looking ones i had and i told him to weed eat the back and i would do the front. well when i went to inspect the job he did, he murdered the whole back yard the entire porch was scalped about a foot out from the edge of it and his excuse was he sneezed . so i told his mom hees not getting paid.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My favorite back when I worked for another company, was this guy we hired, he claimed to have "extensive experience" on walk behinds. Hired him on a Thursday and he was to start the next Monday. He shows up Monday with one arm in a sling. So I asked him, how did he think he was going to operate the mower? He says "Oh I'll just push it with one hand" I laughed...then I show him a 36" and he says "that's NOT a walk behind...THAT'S a walk behind (pointing at a push mower)" I sent him home and never did hear from him again.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
My favorite back when I worked for another company, was this guy we hired, he claimed to have "extensive experience" on walk behinds. Hired him on a Thursday and he was to start the next Monday. He shows up Monday with one arm in a sling. So I asked him, how did he think he was going to operate the mower? He says "Oh I'll just push it with one hand" I laughed...then I show him a 36" and he says "that's NOT a walk behind...THAT'S a walk behind (pointing at a push mower)" I sent him home and never did hear from him again.
extensive lol! u cant really trust a newb lol
Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the same thing happen to me countless times with new employees. So for years now after I interview the person if im interested in hiring him i have him operate the equipment right then and their at the shop.. This saves so much time and headaches. I never find it funny at the time because im need of help, but when i think back it cracks me up!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've had similar problems before, they tell you trimming is second nature so you hire them and you get out in the field and these idiots cant even string up the trimmer they think trimming is easy, its an art and i have found some workers just can't figure it out
'14 Texas Bragg 18'
'14 Kubota Z723 48"
'14 Grasshopper 325D 61"
'09 GRASSHOPPER 329B 61"
'04/'09 Grasshopper 928D 72"
'11 Exmark 21 S-Series
'14 Gravely Commercial 21"
2 Stihl Fs250
2 Stihl Fs94
2 Echo 280
2 Echo BP 770
1 Redmax 8500
Old 12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundskeeperllc View Post
i've had similar problems before, they tell you trimming is second nature so you hire them and you get out in the field and these idiots cant even string up the trimmer they think trimming is easy, its an art and i have found some workers just can't figure it out

it is an art. it took me some time to get to where weedeating is like u said, a second nature act.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's good to see employers have such rigid selection and hiring proceedures in place. No reference checks, no skills tests, apparently not even a written application or training. Just show up and start work on customers' lawns. Wow, what an industry we've evolved for ourselves. In a decade we should have monkees running the mowers. But then I forget, that would require expensive training time, so maybe not.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got people every day asking me for a job, saying they know how to run trimmers and mowers, but when they actually start they absolutely know nothing and you can tell they don't have any experience what so ever.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I got people every day asking me for a job, saying they know how to run trimmers and mowers, but when they actually start they absolutely know nothing and you can tell they don't have any experience what so ever.
yea they know how to use there home owner brand trimmer. and maybe a push mower. than u throw tzr's and walk behinds into the mix and they dont know whats goin on
Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that was a good story thanks for the laugh