Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a good dealer that you like!

Wow! It never ceases to amaze me how someone can say that is the only way to go.

You need to get the saw based on your needs not someone elseís favorite brand.

If youíre going to use this saw as a one for all saw and you are partial to Stihl, you would have a hard time beating the 361! But there not cheap and Husqvarna/Jonsered, RedMax, Echo, Shindaiwa, Efco and Dolmar/Makita makes some very good saws!

I had a Shindaiwa 488 (itís the 490 now) for a quite a while and I donít think there is a more reliable or easier to start saw on the market.

I sold it to a friend with an option that if he ever wanted to get rid of it I get first dibs!

I now run a Dolmar PS 7900EHP and a Dolmar 5100S, soon to get the EHP added to it. I would put them against Stihl or Husqvarna any day.

If I were brand loyal to Stihl I would get a 260/660 combo for my needs but a 260/361/660 would keep any Stihl fan happy for a long time.

If Husky is the only brand that turns you on then you would want a 346xp NE with a 372 and maybe a 395 but a 372 would be enough for my needs.

I have had Huskyís in the past and I believe their air filter set up is the best of any saw on the market. Of course Jonseredís are the same just different colors and ergonomicsí.

If a 3 cube saw will handle anything you need I would still get the pro version. The Shindaiwa 488/490 may not beat a 5100s Dolmar or a 346xp NE Husky but you canít kill them! They can be had for less than 350.00 if you look hard enough. I got my 488 for less than 300 new.

For tree work the MS200T is the one to beat! But being the best in its class cost a few extra bucks. Sometimes itís worth the extra money for the best out there.

From what you said you needed any 3 cube would do what you need but look at the Shindaiwa 488 used or 490 for a saw you cant kill.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I love how people argue over saws. Its just like owning 4 wheelers or trucks same exact thing. Everyone has their own preference. To be honest with everyone loggers and tree care companies like myself, also forestry colleges in there. Companies go with the brand of saw where there's a dealer close by and where they can get 20% discounts. This varies in every town in the U.S.. Many loggers up here in northern NY use only huskys, then out west they use stihl, all depends on the deal that they get from the dealers. As for plastic parts. My Stihl Ms 192 T climbing saw is 6.5 pounds. Its wicked light, I am not going to complain cause theres alot of plastic, its light and works good for me and it's easier on the elbows in the trees. Look at the New john Deere tractors, they are all plastic. Does it make them a bad tractor no. As far as pruning goes, depends on the size of the branch, use a pole saw or hand saw. If your climbing buy a top handle arborist saw, if you just cutting firwood use a mid range saw, cause if you happen to run into a bigger limb you will have the power. The husky 346xp is a good saw and the Stihl MS 250. The husky is about $480 new and the MS 250 is about $300.00 New. For you the MS 250 would be fine for your needs, buy a 18 inch bar and your set. Another thing is every saw needs carb adjustments sometime in there life, so if you do not know anything about that, then you will run into problems and will be calling all saws junk. A little bit of mainetenace goes a long way. I own a business so my saws are cleaned every night after work and ready to go the next day.