Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2002, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EMAIL address Capturing Anyone?

Does anyone here know how to "capture" the email address of someone who enters your website. I get many many hits per day on my site and would love to know who these people are. I don't want to make people register or anything like that. Any ideas??????????????
Old 04-22-2002, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Open up your wallet.

I have the option to get visitor info, but it's in the next tier of service that I'm not willing to pay for just yet.

In talking with a few other folks, the 'creepy' factor would be high if they were to anonymously visit us and get an e-mail the next day saying 'Hey, Joe. How'd you like our site?'
Old 04-22-2002, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks stonehenge....i guess I should put a sign up on there so they can opt in..........
Old 04-22-2002, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It stinks, because I just hate to let people slip out of my hands, when I've been able to get them to visit the site. But I don't want to drive them away by making them think I'm doing something spammish or underhanded.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sprinkler Guy

You idea of opting in will work, just keep the file so if anyone ever asks you have a copy of their opting in to a email list.

Also you might give them the option in your email you send to them to opt out, thus not spam.

Rick
Old 05-07-2002, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the counters at http://www.bravenet.com give you users ip address,os,monitor res etc on the stats page its all free
Old 06-01-2002, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way to "capture" an e-mail address of someone visiting your website. Email address information is nowhere the browser info. You can get ip info, browser type, os, and a few other things, but NO email addresses, and there is no service or software you buy to capture the info either.

The other idea is good about an opt-in newsletter, or you could even set up a page so visitors could recieve (you would send it to them using the email address they provide) general info about the steps involved in installing a system, a variety of pricing plans, time-tables, breakdown of services (like steps you will perform in winterizing a system), what to look for in hiring a irrigation contractor, ETC. All kinds of things you could put down in order to maybe hit on something of interest to them. - Maybe a "Ask the Pro" type of page that would let them pose a question.

I have a "request a quote" page that has been pretty good at getting me contacts that have lead to some new accounts.