Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa View Post
wow. how much dirt did you haul away? were you able to bring trucks up the drive as you dug or did you have to carry all your dirt to the road?
No soil was hauled away. The only thing we hauled away was paver scraps and used pallets. Compactable fill material was both imported and cut from other places on the property, which was done by the excavating company way back when the house construction initially began.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
A grade bean sound like an interesting idea. TSGVA, please post pics when you get to that point.
Will do...it will be disguised as a 2' strip of granite cobblestones, reinforced through the 24" thick concrete footer (grade beam) with vertical rebar between the cobbles, hidden with mortar.....helping with the lateral pressure.

The cobbles will obviously be flush with the top of the pavers as it delineates between the driveway and the lower motor court. I think this is overkill for this grade (only about 6% slope over 30') but the cobbles were going to be installed anyway, so why not reinforce them and have it act as a grade beam?? Cheap insurance for a $115k project.

A big concern I had with proposing this grade beam was the sight of a concrete band going across this beautiful paver driveway....welcome the cobbles.

Kind of hard to describe on here, but hopefully you get the idea.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
No soil was hauled away. The only thing we hauled away was paver scraps and used pallets. Compactable fill material was both imported and cut from other places on the property, which was done by the excavating company way back when the house construction initially began.
nice, good deal.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

By the way, DVS...thanks for starting the thread and posting the pic. I meant to give you a compliment on the project earlier but got carried away as everyone started chatting.

Did you do any kind of border detail/soldier course? I'd love to see more pics if you have them.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The driveway is comprised of 2 colors - Belgard's Fossil Beige and Silex Gray. The border is a string course border and that was done in Fossil Beige.

I'll get more pictures. We finished the paver install and clean up yesterday. I wanted to take a couple pictures but I had my hands full. Had to run errands, had to fix a flat on the skid steer, had to load and haul pallets to the wood recycling company, yadda yadda yadda.

The next step is backfilling the edge and the driveway goes over a seasonal creek bed. Looks like a rip rap will be needed to keep the drieway bed from erroding.

Thanks for the compliments! The owner told me he has 3 people that want to talk to me about doing paver driveways for them. He said he wasn't going to give me their contact info until the paver install is complete, which it now is.

Again, what I'm really excited about is the LIGHTING! The owner wanted every SF of the motor court covered in pavers. I said "no, no, we're going to put in a nice landscape bed so we can get work some lighting into the scene". Although, I think it will be a long long time before he has the funds for this.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if someone can afford a house like that its hard to believe funds would ever be an issue! haha

that job looks great. i look forward to more pictures in the future, Merry Christmas, and happy holidays.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

DeereHauler -

with that pic next to your name....you're in the WRONG section of LawnSite!

You need be here, and be sure to post some pictures! :

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=10179&page=2

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
DeereHauler -

with that pic next to your name....you're in the WRONG section of LawnSite!

You need be here, and be sure to post some pictures! :
DVS,

at first i thought i was being banned from the hardscape forum! haha, i posted a couple pics, thanks for that link!