Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what kind of hydroseeder do u have how do u like it
great work on all the machines nice and clean.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, I am familiar with the 300, I didn't notice the model in the pics.. Still, I stand by my statement.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Pro Turf- Verry nice! what size and make is the enclosed trailer in the 4th pic. thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Awesome pictures. Congrats on all of your hard work! That first pic to the second one is amazing!!

BUT.....(haha, you know it had to come)...I cannot comprehend doing leaves the way you do it with that skidsteer! How is that efficient? You need to tow that thing around, it probably marks up driveways and streets, you have all that extra clean-up from it flinging leaves here and there... If it works, cool- I just don't see how a large vac is not more capable. I would take you up on your challenge!!
Ditto, I would put our 100hp 22" hose vacs against that bad boy any day. When we run around condos, apartments, or large retail sucking up multiple huge piles of leaves, pine needles, etc there is no way a skidder could keep up.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

very nice operation you got there
Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnj18 View Post
how many accounts do you service? do you do any hardscaping? and where's the 2008 photoshoot? lol
We had done hardscaping for two seasons...but we have since pulled away from that...we were getting too much going on at once...too many stirrers in one pot (or whatever that saying is!?) So we pulled out of that and now just focus on what we are set up for & good at...

Every year we say we are gonna do a photoshoot again...but damn its such a process...get everything off the jobs they're on...wash everything...get it all set up at our shop...find a photographer...pray for good weather on that day...uggggggh!! That one keeps getting put on the backburner...

We service approx 125 property maint. accounts throughout the year...some big...some small...but we do a bunch of other work besides just property maint. which keeps is moving year round just about

Last edited by PR0 TURF; 12-23-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot something!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
ProTurf, your business is impressive. What contributed most to your growth? I mean, it seems it would be hard to go from 2 Scags to everything pictured in just four years. What's the trick?
There are definitely alot of factors to the growth. One of the biggest was that I got the ball rolling when I was prettyyoung & I had no bills at all besides work stuff. I lived at home for the longest time...didn't have any hobbies to spend any money on...every single penny I made was put right back into the business.

Right outta the door our first season we were mowing 60 lawns a week by the end of that season. And by season two we were into 80 lawns...and the 3rd season we started to get some bigger commercial maintenance work (55+ communities etc) and irrigation & bobcat work etc...

Another big thing...there may be alot of equipment in those pictures...but there is not much brand new equipment for sure! Alot of that stuff is older equipment that I didn't pay crazy money for...and I'd take it home...clean it up...put some new paint & fancy logos on it...and people think its brand new...but its actually some of it is pretty old.

Those pics actually took 5 full seasons of work...the Scag pic was January of 2001...the photo shoot pic was prob Oct of 2005...

And I guess the last big contributor to growth was I never really had much trouble with good help. I have always managed to have a few really good people around...and still do to this day. I have definitely dealt with my fair share of knuckleheads...but when the good ones come along I always do my best to make it worth their while working with me. Sure couldn't do it without those guys. Most of the guys working with me have been around for 4-6 years on average.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
BUT.....(haha, you know it had to come)...I cannot comprehend doing leaves the way you do it with that skidsteer! How is that efficient? You need to tow that thing around, it probably marks up driveways and streets, you have all that extra clean-up from it flinging leaves here and there... If it works, cool- I just don't see how a large vac is not more capable. I would take you up on your challenge!!
Hahahha...yeaa...I knew it was coming!! I must say it really does work well. The Bobcat is an all wheel steer...so there is no marking up of any driveways or streets. Yes...you will scrape some pavement occasionally with the bucket but we try to always do it in the street. We also usually use our bigger Freightliner to haul leaves...holds alot more than that F-550 in the picture.

As far as using a vac...my personal experience was that we would typically push/blow all of the leaves out to the street where the vac was...then we'd have 2-3 guys raking the leaves into the hose...breaking up the pile if it was too compressed/condensed (not loose enough) to be easily vac'd up...we'd deal with occasional clogs etc...stop the vac...clean out the hose...tube etc...uggggggh!!!

With the skid steer we have 2 guys...one in the machine...and one on a mower to help "push" the leaves into the bucket...they could do a GIGANTIC pile of leaves in a very short amount of time. Yes...we do deal with excess leaves getting flung around...but when there is too little to pick up with the Bobcat we blow em back on the lawn and suck em up with the mower. We also usually use a bigger snow bucket when doing leaves which holds even more leaves.

And if the leaves are even a little wet and you're trying to vac...FORGET IT...you all know what that's like!! Wet leaves don't stop a Bobcat...it actually makes it easier...less leaves flying around etc...

Everything has its Pros & Cons...but over time we have come to believe that this is the way to go...it may not be for everyone...but it works awesome for us and we have no plans on changing back anytime soon.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
what kind of hydroseeder do u have how do u like it
great work on all the machines nice and clean.
We have a Bowie 1100 with a Wisconsin engine. I have no complaints about it at all...love the machine...treats us great and we use it all the time!! We can spray approx 11k-13k s/ft per tank typically.

Thanks for the compliments on the equip!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
Pro Turf- Verry nice! what size and make is the enclosed trailer in the 4th pic. thanks
That trailer is a PACE. 8ft x 22ft...I will have to get some pics of the inside...its a really nice setup in there. No complaints about the trailer...works great and looks even better