Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm jealous of all that you have there, but not of the headaches that surely come with running a biz that large. I've been doing maintenance "officially" since '97 and I'm still one guy with a fancy truck and trailer... I just never have the desire to grow (if that's even possible around here) to the size you are.

Your shop and the irrigation trailer are to die for. I'm sure neither stay perfect like that 100% of the time though, lol. The racks and cabinets in the trailer are just genious. Just like the home center with the fittings screwed to the outside of the bin for fast ID.

If I get the opportunity to get a home with some acerage I'm definately getting a for real shop. Working out of a 20x24 garage and from under a carport can be done, but I spend half my time moving one thing to get the next around it.

If you ever want to get rid of one of your GOOD workers, and they want to live in Kansas where it's a little warmer and a lot windier, let me know! It's almost impossible to find ANYONE that will work around here!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I'm jealous of all that you have there, but not of the headaches that surely come with running a biz that large. I've been doing maintenance "officially" since '97 and I'm still one guy with a fancy truck and trailer... I just never have the desire to grow (if that's even possible around here) to the size you are.

Your shop and the irrigation trailer are to die for. I'm sure neither stay perfect like that 100% of the time though, lol. The racks and cabinets in the trailer are just genious. Just like the home center with the fittings screwed to the outside of the bin for fast ID.

If I get the opportunity to get a home with some acerage I'm definately getting a for real shop. Working out of a 20x24 garage and from under a carport can be done, but I spend half my time moving one thing to get the next around it.

If you ever want to get rid of one of your GOOD workers, and they want to live in Kansas where it's a little warmer and a lot windier, let me know! It's almost impossible to find ANYONE that will work around here!

Hahaha...yea you're right...there are plenty of headaches...but that comes with anything you do! That irrigation trailer works out awesome for us...there isn't a thing I would change about it. If I hear of anyone headed to Kansas I'll tell em to look you up!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ProTurf, one more question:

Are you well versed in irrigation? How did you initially step into the irrigation sector of this business? Did you have to hire someone that already knew the stuff, or did you take some sort of class to learn it? Seems like it would be hard for me to grasp getting into something I don't know anything about, and it would be especially hard to price it correctly.

I am plotting to move my business to a more affluent area; WAY too many guys around here are happy to bring home $15 an hour mowing for themselves. Obviously, this makes it impossible for me to get out of the field and hire people.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
ProTurf, one more question:

Are you well versed in irrigation? How did you initially step into the irrigation sector of this business? Did you have to hire someone that already knew the stuff, or did you take some sort of class to learn it? Seems like it would be hard for me to grasp getting into something I don't know anything about, and it would be especially hard to price it correctly.
We are very well versed in irrigation. We do not get into any golf courses or athletic fields etc but we mainly do residential installs & service. We also do a fair share of installs at new condos...townhouses...55+ communities etc. I got into it back in 2002...I had a good friend who had a landscape/irrig company & he let me work with him on the weekends to teach me the ropes...I learned everything hands on. Over the years I have taken a few classes here & there too...but I would have never been able to get into it relying only on the classes...that would've been much more difficult.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Great looking company you have built over the years. I hope I'm not asking a question that has already been asked but how many crews do you run on a regular basis? I assume the company is mainly lawn/property maintenance based? I like to see companies who don't make hardscaping their main trade, but include all aspects into the company. Seems that you made the notorious jump from a small operation to a large sized operation very well. Have there been times throughout your career where you wish you had gone down a different avenue? Thanks for the great pics and info! I hope I have asked some worthwhile questions that meet the forums expectations , no pun intended.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoltharp View Post
Great looking company you have built over the years. I hope I'm not asking a question that has already been asked but how many crews do you run on a regular basis? I assume the company is mainly lawn/property maintenance based? I like to see companies who don't make hardscaping their main trade, but include all aspects into the company. Seems that you made the notorious jump from a small operation to a large sized operation very well. Have there been times throughout your career where you wish you had gone down a different avenue? Thanks for the great pics and info! I hope I have asked some worthwhile questions that meet the forums expectations , no pun intended.
At one point we had 15 employees...but things have dropped dramatically in the last two seasons due to the economy. We currently have 8...and that is strecthing it at times! We typically run 3 crews at most times during the year...we always have a few extra guys on in the spring time to help with the big rush. We are one of the few companies in our immediate area who are full service...so we feel like we have an advantage bidding on jobs at times due to not having to sub out any of the work in most cases etc. We are by no means the biggest in our area...there just aren't alot of guys out their who do everything. We do just about everything besides hardscapes & fertilizing.

There have definitely been times where I wish I was doing something else...but who hasn't?? I bet even Tom Brady has those days...on rare occasions! I still tell myself that I won't be doing this for the rest of my life...i have a few ideas in the works on other ventures...but nothing set in stone yet.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So you have 11 mowers for just 125 accounts? Your accounts must be HUGE to keep 9 guys and 9 mowers working 5 days a week. (3 crews = 3 mowers & 3 workers from your previous statements) My buddy has almost 300 accounts, 6 mowers and 3 crews and the one crew only works 3 days a week on maintenance and 2 days landscaping.

Also you must have a POS vacuum if it can't suck up wet leaves good. I know from experience that the truck packs BETTER when the leaves are wet and I used a 27hp Kawasaki loader and it handled wet leaves fine.

If it works for you thatís great; but I don't see how you're making $$$$ with a setup that doesn't seem to be too efficient.

Last edited by nnj18; 12-23-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you have 11 mowers for just 125 accounts? You must be either charging a lot of money or loosing your azz
dude its not how many stops you make its what you make at each stop.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Everything looks good! Looking foward to more pictures!

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnj18 View Post
So you have 11 mowers for just 125 accounts? Your accounts must be HUGE to keep 9 guys and 9 mowers working 5 days a week. (3 crews = 3 mowers & 3 workers from your previous statements) My buddy has almost 300 accounts, 6 mowers and 3 crews and the one crew only works 3 days a week on maintenance and 2 days landscaping.

Also you must have a POS vacuum if it can't suck up wet leaves good. I know from experience that the truck packs BETTER when the leaves are wet and I used a 27hp Kawasaki loader and it handled wet leaves fine.
Those pics were from 05 when we had around 15 employees...as I said things are scaled back due to slow times...we have since changed over to all Exmarks...and still have one Walker...but no more Scags...Dixie Chopper etc...we are plenty efficient with our 125 accounts...we concentrate more on landscape & irrigation installs these days then expanding our maintenance. We are at a comfortable level with maintenance.

As far as sucking up wet leaves...i apparently have never used a vac good enough to handle wet leaves...my experience with wet leaves is they just build up in the hose & tubes and stick to the machine and slow down the whole process dramatically. If your vac handles wet leaves better than dry leaves then hold onto that machine, it sounds awesome.