Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2000, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I got my mileage up to 10.5 mpg. Half highway driving and half stop and go. Guess balancing my tires and driving with the tailgate down helped out. Just need to work on making a new flow-thru tailgate. Checked my alignment today and the &quot;toe-in&quot; was off just a little bit. Thanks for the tip JB. Also checked the jets in my carb, they were 64c. Performance store I went to only had 65? Does anyone know if thats the smallest jets they make for the quadra-jet carb? <br>I'm pretty sure my 1/2ton 4x4 is running 373 gears. Looked at Chucks info and there where only three possible gears. Anyone know how I can fine out for sure? <br>There are two other things I wanted to try but the 700R4 tranny didn't seem like it was a good idea. Tranny shop said I'd have to use an adapter, but it was pretty weak. Or I'd have to have one specially rebuilt. Too much money. The other is an electric fan. Seen a post on another website that said it increased mileage by 2 mpg and increase horsepower because the engine didn't have to drive the fan. Anyone try the electric fan? Does it keep you vehicle cool? If anyone has tried this let me know. I think the electric fans run about $90. Want to hear pros and cons before I make a decission to buy one.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:32 AM

The engine still has to &quot;drive&quot; the electric fan, just doesn't have to power it all the time. Cruising down the highway you get enough ram air through the radiator to do most, if not all, of the cooling.
Old 04-27-2000, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a friend who completely removed the fan on his 1966 el camino. It had a pretty hot 327 in it, but he used it mostely cruising on the highway, and it never really gets too hot up here in the pac northwest anyway. Depending on if you haul a lot of stuff, or pull hills in low gear, off road, stuff like that, I'd get one or two cooling fans. By the way, the guy in the el said he saw 2-3 mpg increase. Take into consideration though, that he had 4.10 gears and no overdrive, so his engine was always turning that fan pretty fast. Good luck, tell us how it turns out if you go for it.
Old 05-08-2000, 03:43 AM
Goose1

About your gear ratio, there may still be a small metal tag held on with one of the front diff cover bolts that will have the ratio on it. 700R4 will require adapters ($$)to swap out. Electric fan good for water crossing also, can turn off so engine isn't covered w/water. Lastly, figure out how much money you spent trying to get that extra 2-3 mpg, then figure how many gallons of gas it will take you to recoup that expense. More than likely it will take at least a year. Trying to gain mphg is very tough to do without spending so much money that it takes forever to make up the difference. I get 9-12 mpg with my K5 and 3.73:1 gears.
Old 05-18-2000, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 78 k20, with sm blk 400/ turbo 400 tranny, 4:10 gears, 140k miles w/o rebuild, just drove from Washington state to Texas, and averaged 12 mpg, &quot;tail gate down&quot; tail gate is the only thing that I have found that makes any noticable difference in fuel economy, especially on highway. I get 9mpg in city, I too have tried every different possible little trick for improving economy, seems the only thing left is to either go shorter gears, or to go purchase a fuel injection system, but I think that it will take a long time to recover the $1600.oo for the fuel injection system.<p>keep your fuel filter changed, pcv valve changed and wear a set of slippers when you drive,......that is about the only way I know to help the ol wallet and fuel economy.