Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like ya got the equipment a tad bit muddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Much more enjoyable drive without having to stop every 15-20min to beat the ice off the wipers. Good see'n ya and when you get that 6 day window of warm weather make sure it migrates down this way so I can get rid of this mud.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

good job cleaning the tracks on the 332 out!! that can just f up a day when you dont.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to come accross harsh here but do you have any idea how much leg work is involved in putting together 6 digit builds? Try 4 at the same time. Material selection, multiple revisions on plans, permits, meetings with pool contractors, electricians, plumbers, and the list goes on and on. We aren't talking about a 200 sf front sidewalk here.

When you have to find the right employees there are ways of finding them, I'll leave it at that. When you treat them right, word travels, and they tend to want to work for you.

You should see that back yard, I mean mud everywhere. I honestly think it takes the cake on "backyards destroyed" but it'll look real sharp when planted and finished off. That job box was around back by the pool and last week we put a chain on it, hooked it to the front of the 332 and drug it around the front. That 332 is an ox, but it took all it had in the mud to get it out front. This job would have come to an abupt hault four weeks ago without track machines.

You fail to clean muddy track machines before it freezes you will develop a new four word vocabulary when you decide to start one and move it in sub zero temps.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post

You fail to clean muddy track machines before it freezes you will develop a new four word vocabulary when you decide to start one and move it in sub zero temps.

move it in sub zero??? you mean TRY to move it. then pick at the mud with a spud bar for hours. ya i know those words.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I don't want to come accross harsh here but do you have any idea how much leg work is involved in putting together 6 digit builds? Try 4 at the same time. Material selection, multiple revisions on plans, permits, meetings with pool contractors, electricians, plumbers, and the list goes on and on. We aren't talking about a 200 sf front sidewalk here.
Thats why I asked. Biggest project I've done is about $17k so I'm a far cry from 100, 200, 300k like some of your projects must be.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
man you hardscape guys got some egos, lol
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I respect ETW an what he says, always admire his work an could only dream of doing what he does....
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Business 102

Winter Work. In a time in which many contractors are slow the first thing that comes to mind is discount work over the winter months to keep things moving. This is a dangerous incentive to offer and can very quickly put you in the red if you are inefficient or the weather plays havoc.

If you decide to play that game, and work through the winter (which can be done if you take the right precautions), there are several things to keep in mind.

First, in your contracts, you want to word them in a way that you are never upside down on your winter projects. This can be done in several ways. One…getting a larger deposit up front. Two, requesting multiple draws on certain dates or after certain phases are done. Three, (and this is kind of my preference) quote the project, get a signed contract and a 50% deposit, and bill them at the end of each week for the work that was done. While their deposit holds up their balance due will be $0, after that they will owe you for each weeks work completed with terms due on receipt. By the end of the project the final invoice will not exceed the total cost of the project. Yes this is a lot of paperwork, and I wouldn’t encourage it during your busy season, but it will keep things cash flowing for you. It protects both the customer and you in harsh working conditions.

Let’s draw this scenario: Project costs $30,000. You get 50% down to start the project. You’re 80% done and the ground freezes solid or you get a blizzard. In a normal summer season the weather will usually turn fairly quickly and you’ll be back at it. In the winter it could be 6 weeks before you are back in there, now you’re in the red. To request another 25% draw spontaneously, the customer may say, well when will you be done? Or it wasn’t in the contract. But by billing them at the end of each week (with due on receipt terms) for work completed, you’ll be okay until the weather breaks. It just boils down to communication and being upfront with the customer.

Cash flowing winter projects can be a challenge, we’ve got two large ones open now and the weather is playing with us, but we are making progress and we aren't upside down on either one. However, we’ve talked with both customers about this going into the winter and they understand the payment strategy.

Bottom line: Be careful working in the winter, discounts is not always the best option. Thinking ahead will often save you a lot of aggravation.

Just my two cents...
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any update on your current jobs? Maybe some pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!