Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2000, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 98 Chevy I bought last Sept. It had 43k miles and I did a front end brake job just to be safe. The pads weren't wore out but replaced them anyway. Now, every time I come to a stop at the last second it seems one of the tires lock or something. It grabs real hard and skips a little. Do you think maybe the drums on the rear are wore out? I repacked the spindles last year when I did the front but checked and there isn't any grease on the rotors. Thanks for the help.<p>Adam <p>Oh, it is a c3500 single, no duals!
Old 05-06-2000, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

What brand brake pads did you use? I have had problems like this with cheap brake pads. Also how did you compress the calipers? The old C-clamp method is not recommended any more. You should open the bleeder screw and let the old brake fluid flow out the bleeder in stead of pushing it backward thought the ABS system.
Old 05-07-2000, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I used a C-clamp. I hadn't ever done this before and being Air Force we have a shop here on base that supposedly has trained techs that can teach you things. So, trying to save money this is what I did. <p>The brand I am not sure of. I bought them at AutoZone. They were metallic heavy duty of some sort. That's what the guy said. They were the more expensive ones if that helps. <p>So what do I do to fix this. Can I go back bleed the lines or something?<p>thank you,<p>Adam
Old 05-11-2000, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Bleeding the brakes probably won't fix your problem. If its the front brakes that are locking up. Then I recommend trying A different set of pads. I use bendix. If itís the rear. This is more common. Then you better take the drums off and inspect the system. You need to look for cracks in the shoes or grease on them. Also you may clean and adjust the rear brakes at this time. Keep me informed. I will be gone for a week, but I will check when I get back.<br>Yort<br>Ps. If you change the pads again. Then open the bleeder to compress the calipers. Itís easy and keeps the dirty fluid from going backward though the hydraulic system.<br>
Old 05-13-2000, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Yort,<p>Thanks, The other day as I was stopping the left, rear tire locked just I was comming to a stop. I think I will try the drums and shoes first. I appreciate the help.<p>Adam