Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEGUARD View Post
if your only 15 years old who's driving the truck that pulls the trailer. Thats my question
I drive the truck. Bought it with my hard earned money and take great care of it and let no one drive it but me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbuilt View Post
I'm thinking your mom and dad mite not want the lawn bizz to work out because they would rather see you to go to school get smart and become a doctor or a lawyer . 15 is kinda young , they mite want you to apply your self in school instead of on the turf . I think the larger trailer would be a good move for the bizz . You will have the next 50 years or so to figure this out don't sweat it. Your way ahead of me, when i was 15 i pulled a bobcat mower with a moped . I had the edger on top of the mower and a rack for the trimmer on my handle bars . I made a ton of cash when i was a kid . John
idk man. I am doing good in school and plan to go to college for business management and turf management. But right now I am extremely pissed off because my dad basically told me tonight he doesn't believe in me or my business. Hes like if you're just gonna cut grass all your life you don't need college. Really pissed me off. it just makes me sick to my stomach that he could think that.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well this is something you're going to have to face....he is right, you don't NEED to go to college to mow lawns and ANYONE can do it. You have to make a name for yourself and set yourself apart from others. But if you stay a mow only guy people will always thing that. Going to college will help though! And the way you carry yourself, shows a lot about what you think of what you do.

bottom line is though, anyone can do it (this site proves it, i.e. some of the members). I mean even you prove it, you have one 36" mower and a bunch of 21" mowers and are 15. What other legit business could you possibly own at the age of 15??? Or even at my age of 18???
Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care what my dad says. I am going to college.

2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Ryan Aerator
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
I don't care what my dad says. I am going to college.
I agree with you.....just reread what I said and understand it....
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just throw it back in your dads face that he's a cop. He sits in a car and eats donuts all day, haha. (no offence to anyone, honest joke)
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My parents were like that, totally unsupportive of the business. Now they understand it and are much more willing to let me do what I need to make it work. They are even gonna let me use part of my college fund to buy a dump truck.

Give it time, they'll come around.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 12-27-2008, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak
But right now I am extremely pissed off because my dad basically told me tonight he doesn't believe in me or my business. Hes like if you're just gonna cut grass all your life you don't need college. Really pissed me off. it just makes me sick to my stomach that he could think that.
With all due respect to your father he's not thinking right. I would be proud to have a son like you who had the drive and work ethic to run your own lawn care business at your age. I have a son who is a lot older than you (22) who can't seem to show up at work three days in a row and is in and out of trouble with the law. I would set him up in a lawn care business, buy him the equipment, show him how to bid, teach him everything I know, but I won't bother because it's still work and I know he wouldn't do it.

Whatever happens with the trailer, keep at it and make the old man eat his words.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are people that I know that cut grass on the side as a hobbie. They have their regular full time jobs, then they cut grass after that. They have college degrees and everything.
I agree that your dad isn't thinking right. I think if he said that around here, I think people would slap him for not encouraging something like that. And is all this because you want a bigger trailer? OR because of college?

2008 GMC 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 Ext. Cab
2001 Ford Focus
I retired from mowing lawns
Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis45 View Post
Just throw it back in your dads face that he's a cop. He sits in a car and eats donuts all day, haha. (no offence to anyone, honest joke)
None taken. Donuts are only at 4:30am when there is nothing else to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
My parents were like that, totally unsupportive of the business. Now they understand it and are much more willing to let me do what I need to make it work. They are even gonna let me use part of my college fund to buy a dump truck.

Give it time, they'll come around.
Yeah, its not so much my mom as it is my dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
With all due respect to your father he's not thinking right. I would be proud to have a son like you who had the drive and work ethic to run your own lawn care business at your age. I have a son who is a lot older than you (22) who can't seem to show up at work three days in a row and is in and out of trouble with the law. I would set him up in a lawn care business, buy him the equipment, show him how to bid, teach him everything I know, but I won't bother because it's still work and I know he wouldn't do it.

Whatever happens with the trailer, keep at it and make the old man eat his words.
I will, I have made it a challenge to myself to be successful and make him eat every last word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTblc View Post
There are people that I know that cut grass on the side as a hobbie. They have their regular full time jobs, then they cut grass after that. They have college degrees and everything.
I agree that your dad isn't thinking right. I think if he said that around here, I think people would slap him for not encouraging something like that. And is all this because you want a bigger trailer? OR because of college?
Well, the trailer subject pissed him off and then he just kept going on and on, then later my sister and I were talking about college and him still being a jerk said well you don't need college if your just gonna cut grass all your life. We haven't spoke since

2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Ryan Aerator
Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

dude get over it....its the truth, you do NOT NEED to go to college to mow a lawn. This is one of the lowest rank businesses in the nation, why? Because ANYONE can mow a lawn.

now I'm not saying to not go to college, but you need to wake up and REALIZE what people think. Because 99% of people you meet will feel the same way and theres nothing wrong with.....

why dont you tell me why you NEED college to mow lawns????