Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn care truly is a family business.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

girls and boys can do the same work and girls some times do it better me and my husbend own our own landscapeing company and he has a son from his first wife and i have raised my two sisters they all three help us and the two year olds some times do better then the five year old and some times onya(sister) does better then coy(son) and then when the job is done they get payed with icecream and when ever we go to the gardens coy will go up to a plant and take the flower in to his and a smell it then he will gently let it go we hope that one day that they will take over but you never know it may just be for now but they love spending all the time in the world with us and it is nice because it teaches them money and they learn how to save up for what they want like my oldest sister wants to get a truck and lawn mower so we told her she has to save and get it her self and she has a big smile every time she puts her money in that jar and ever day she takes out and counts and askes daddy how much more we told her the mowwer is hers but the truck she has to wait till she can drive
Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer my kids to do something that I didn't do -enjoy childhood. I grew up on a farm and was pressed into labor at the ripe old age of 7 or 8. The only thing I do remember of my childhood is WORK. Never hanging with friends, going places, etc.

Let the kids be kids. When they are 14 or so then it's OK.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My daughter and I have an understanding, when it is time to work if she has something else to do with friends that comes first. She sometimes chooses to go with me even though she would rather do something else. She has learned the value of work and the pride of earning money.

She is only 10 and her youth comes first. She has decided sometimes to work instead of play. Not to shabby for a 10 yr old.

Thanks for all the great replies.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Daughter Lawn care View Post
My daughter and I have an understanding, when it is time to work if she has something else to do with friends that comes first. She sometimes chooses to go with me even though she would rather do something else. She has learned the value of work and the pride of earning money.

She is only 10 and her youth comes first. She has decided sometimes to work instead of play. Not to shabby for a 10 yr old.

I commend you for having your priorities straight. They're only young once-They'll have the rest of their life to work.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Daughter Lawn care View Post

I was just relating to my experience, not trying to tell anyone how to raise their kids. Sounds like you've got a handle on it and are doing it right.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
That's awesome, man. I wish you the best of luck.
Ditto to that
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It appears as though the mowing part of the season is winding down. All that is left is the leaves. My daughter has returned to school and her softball playing will end this weekend. It's been a good year. Looking forward to 2010.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A Valuable Lesson!

You are in a special business to share with your kids, especially if you're lucky enough to have them work with you. I actually got my dad involved in the industry when he went to work for me back in 1983. He got bit by the bug and has been involved in the industry ever since. He worked for me for a few years and moved a few hundred miles away. He started his own landscape maintenance business and really grew a special operation - small, but special. I'll never forget visiting him one weekend and after dinner, he started driving me around his residential accounts. While shinning his headlights onto the properties, he would describe what he did and how he did it. The sense of pride just came pouring out. It had a profound effect on the way I saw my business after that and really made me appreciate that I am allowed to "create" things every day - even if only doing routine maintenance tasks.

If your kids get an opportunity to appreciate that, even at their early age, it will make an impact on their lives forever. For me, though it was always under my nose, it took my dad to make me understand what I was a part of. I just wanted to let you know that you have a special opportunity at these special ages. I was fortunate enough to share it with my 3 boys and I know you're in for a great time!

Enjoy it!

Tommy
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tommy you are so correct. This is a special business and almost always gives you instant gratification for what it is we do.